McCargoe to Chippewa Harbor

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

McCargoe to Chippewa Harbor

Post by jerry »

I'm curious how heavy the volume was on the trails and campgrounds from McCargoe to Chippewa Harbor recently (the last couple of years). I enjoyed that trip years ago, even though I seldom saw anyone. It was a year where there was over 100 trees down due to a blow down. I saw the most folks at CH, mostly from boats (from the UP, kayaks and canoes from Rock Harbor).
RedLeg
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Re: McCargoe to Chippewa Harbor

Post by RedLeg »

We did the portages down to CH from McCargoe in June. Stayed a few nights at each, normal volume of hikers + a couple boaters at each docked.
22' Moosewatch #4
22' RH-Caribou-Moskey-Intermediate-Wood-Chippewa-Moskey-RH / 13d packraft
21' RH-Daisy-Moskey-Chippewa-McCargoe-Moskey-3Mile-RH / 11d
cherrypinklimeade
NewbieCake

Post by cherrypinklimeade »

How is the segment from Lake Ritchie to Chippewa Harbor? The reason I ask is that I'm mulling what may be a harebrained scheme to do a one day speed hike from McCargoe to Chippewa around the solstice. I've been on all of the segments around there previously but haven't checked off that last bit.
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

I hiked from McCargoe to CH in one day back in 2010 or 2011. Back then the Lake Ritchie to CH section was not very difficult. That was due to the trail crew had cleaned up the blow down in that area. I had the luck to see a wolf on the wooden bridge before you get to Lake Ritchie. Seeing an old man, it turned around and left the area.
kkrause
NewbieCake

Post by kkrause »

There is a small chance this trail will be changed to decommission the section that connects the lake Richie trail to the SE lake Richie portage access (the trail would travel from CH to lake Richie portage point). It seems like they will not close this trail but you may want to do it asap. It’s on my 2025 itinerary