shelter vs. tent sites

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

If both are available, shelter or tent site?

Shelter
91%
Tent Site
9%

Total votes: 32

Mandolynn
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Re: shelter vs. tent sites

Post by Mandolynn »

No one has mentioned this aspect, so I'm curious:
What about critters?

I am not a backpacker, but I have gone on IRNHA service trips to Chippewa Harbor and McCargoe Cove so I have slept in a tent on the island. When you are on a service trip you are not allowed to take up shelters so I have mostly slept in a tent. (Except for a couple of emergency situations like when a huge thunderstorm came up in the middle of the night.) BUT: on one trip, I was terrorized by a moose stomping nearly on my tent, followed almost immediately by a fox bumping my elbow through the tent side with its nose. Now, I love moose the best of all animals, and I love all animals, including the said fox. But I don't care to have them visit me when I'm lying flat on my back. I have been told I'm just an animal magnet (which obviously has both advantages and disadvantages) but tell me... is it just me, or is it common to have moose stomp around your tent in the middle of the night? Because right away that fact makes shelters look awfully attractive to a novice. It's one of the things that makes me hesitate about taking the plunge and trying an actual backpacking trip.
moss13
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by moss13 »

Mandolynn,

You are not alone on that one. 3 years ago while sleeping in our tent site on Chippewa Harbor we had the same thing happen to us. It was around 3 am and there were 3 of us in a tent when we were awakened by moose sounds and some LOUD THUNDERING stomping very close to our tent. This went on for 30 to 40 minutes. It was October and rutting season was in full force. There was a bull and a cow moose shaking our campsite as they made LOTS of noises and chased each other around. It was very exctiting but scary at the same time because it was so dark out we could not see a thing whenever I would peek out from the tent. I will never forget the way the ground shook as they stomped by the tent. All 3 of us were praying we would not be trampled by the huge moose. In that situation a shelter would be nice.

I would love to know if the moose could see the tent in the dark or if we were just very lucky. I hope the former.
"The Island Is Calling"
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

You were probably very lucky. i don't think they have very good eyesight.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
BlackCoffee
NewbieCake

Post by BlackCoffee »

Regarding shelters and "critters", I have heard that mice are an issue in the shelters, but I haven't seen any commentary confirming this. Does anyone know if this is cause for concern - chewing through gear, etc.?
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

I have never seen evidence of mice in Isle Royale shelters although I hear that they are a menace in Appalachian Trail shelters.

Actually, there is only one species of mouse on Isle Royale, so maybe that helps.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

I have never seen or heard a mouse in a shelter. I have heard a bat land on the screening on the shelter front. This prompted me to put a towel over the bottom of the door because there was a gap. otherwise, the shelters are very secure.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
Nitsirk
NewbieCake

Post by Nitsirk »

IR is the only place I've ever camped that has shelters. I don't count on getting one but if it's available I'll take it, especially if bugs or weather are bad.
ScoutDad
LNT Expert

Post by ScoutDad »

I chased a squirrel away from our gear once...and have read other posts about them chewing through a backpack, but that's it.
My profession is to always find God in nature.
- Henry David Thoreau -
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

Nitsirk wrote:IR is the only place I've ever camped that has shelters. I don't count on getting one but if it's available I'll take it, especially if bugs or weather are bad.
There are a lot of shelters in NPs and NFs. I've never seen any with bug screen. IR shelters are almost like cabins.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

In regards to the critters getting in the shelter, I've never heard nor seen it happen. The only thing you have to worry about critter-related with the shelter is squirrels climbing along the screen at 5am, waking you up as they attempt to find a possible entry point to enter the shelter and pillage your trail mix. EVERY TIME I'M IN A SHELTER. Blargh! :evil:
rainelde
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by rainelde »

I prefer a shelter to escape the bugs, and I have found that at daisy farm especially, the moose move in at night and sleep close tot he shelters. If you wake early before they move on, you can jsut look up from your sleeping bag and watch them. Last year there was a mom and calf right in front of our shelter and if we had unzipped a tent, we would have scared them off. Also if the weather turns bad, many people can share the shelter, never be greedy with one, many people can sleep in a shelter in bad weather if you ahng a tarp in front of the screen. We always bring 2 8x8 tarps rolled around sleeping bags. they work for many things. Think about it, a nightime game of yuker is more fun with more people.