First Time on Isle Royale

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

kfinnguy
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

First Time on Isle Royale

Post by kfinnguy »

Me and my Dad are going to Isle Royale this summer. If anyone has any tips for us or any first timer, please post.
"The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences."
— Chris McCandless
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: First Time on Isle Royale

Post by jerry »

Age, what type of shape do you plan to be in when you get to ISRO, how long do you plan to be there, how much weight can you carry are some of the factors you need to address. I'm in my 60s and plan to return for another solo hike. Any part of the island is usually a place to make you forget all your cares and concerns.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

When are you going?
What is your experience level?
How long are you going?
East or West side?
Method of Transportation to the Island.
kfinnguy
LNT Expert

Post by kfinnguy »

We don't know the exact date but at the end of June.

I've had some experience in boy scouts but my dad as far I as I know none but we are fit.

We are going for 4 or 5 days.

Not sure which side but we are going on the Queen IV via Copper Harbor.
— Chris McCandless
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

First of all welcome to the Forums!!

Make sure you are familiar with your gear, stove, filter if you are using one.
The bugs can be "bothersome" particularly away from the Lakeshore, make sure you have headnets.
If you haven't taken a ferry before, the Lake can be rough and it can be a long ride if it is kicking up.
Drammamine or the like would be good if you aren't sure if you get seasick.
The temps along the lake can be cool as the lake is still in the 30's.
I assume you will be staying on the East end as you are taking the Queen, make sure you get up to Mt Ojibway to take advantage of the tower and its views.

Take the time to stop in Houghton at the Park Headquarters, they are good for more info.
kfinnguy
LNT Expert

Post by kfinnguy »

We finally made the date, we are going June 22-26.
— Chris McCandless
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Backpacker534 »

Like John said, if you are visiting the east end of the island, make sure you hit the Ojibway tower -- excellent views. I don't know what other areas/trails you intend to visit/use so I will add my "two cents" regarding a couple other places that I really enjoyed and you can see if they fit into your itinerary.

Lane Cove - A really nice campsite along a rocky shoreline and looking out into Lake Superior.
Mt. Franklin - A nice place to stop for lunch or an extended break. It's not a tower but you are high enough up that you can enjoy a nice breeze on a warm day and some excellent views to the west, north and east.
Lookout Louise - Another place with an exceptional view. Only problem is that this location is all the way at the east end of the Greenstone Ridge Trail so a visit to this place will basically take up a good portion of your day since there is no way to incorporate it in a loop hike -- one way in and one way out.
Scoville Point - A nice round-trip hike from Rock Harbor. My buddy and I did this hike the morning of our return trip before the Queen departed. The point itself is all large slabs of rock with great views. It only took us about three hours to complete and that included quite a bit of time just exploring the point.

Have a great time with your dad! The island should be a good place for some quality time together in the great outdoors.
BlackCoffee
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by BlackCoffee »

Definitely try to stay at Moskey Basin at some point. Also, when you're in a good position to do so, get up early and watch the sunrise! I would be prepared for some cold nights and mornings at that time of year, and don't underestimate the terrain - it can be pretty rough going up and down the ridges. Have a great time and take lots of photos!
kfinnguy
LNT Expert

Post by kfinnguy »

6/22: Rock Harbor to Daisy Farm
6/23: Daisy Farm to McCargoe Cove(With a stop at Minong Mine)
6/24: McCargoe to Moskey Basin
6/25: Moskey to Three Mile
6/26: Three Mile to Rock Harbor

This is my itinerary.
— Chris McCandless
BlackCoffee
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by BlackCoffee »

Looks like a great week is planned! I walked through Three Mile on my way back to Rock Harbor at the end of my trip and it looked really nice. I hope to stay there next time. McCargoe Cove is great, and the trip to Minong Mine is fun. The stretch from Moskey Basin to Rock Harbor is awesome (but lots of up/down). I look forward to hearing about your trip!
kfinnguy
LNT Expert

Post by kfinnguy »

We're going to get some gear this weekend at the REI store in Pittsburgh.
— Chris McCandless
Jackfish
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by Jackfish »

When you leave Rock Harbor to head toward Daisy Farm, I would recommend that you take the Tobin Harbor trail to the point it drops down into Three Mile. It's a smoother trail that allows you to get your hiking legs under you better than the rocky, root-strewn trail from goes directly from RH to Three Mile. Once you're at Three Mile, the rest of the trail to Daisy gets better.

Moskey is great. Spent a couple nights there a few years ago. You probably will be short on time, but if you have the chance to visit Chippewa Harbor, you won't be disapointed.

Have a great trip. Sounds like you're well on your way in the planning process.
"It's only a spot on the map... until you go there!"
mike
NewbieCake

Post by mike »

I would be cautious not to leave anything unattended at campsites and shelters. The fox's are true thieves. I speak from experience. Make sure things are either in your tent/shelter or hung if you are going to leave things unattended. Enjoy your trip.
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

+1 on the foxes. We once saw one trotting down the trail from a campsite with a bag of gorp in its mouth. The grey (Canada) jays will also swipe stuff.

The foxes have been reputed to take larger stuff like boots, cameras, etc as well.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
mike
NewbieCake

Post by mike »

That is true what Keweenaw says about the larger items. My very first trip to the island in mid October many years ago, me and five friends, all first timers, came over from Grand Portage. When we arrived the Ranger greeted all 12 of us on the ferry and showed us where the permits were to fill out and wished us all a great trip. Not one mention of foxes. Why? Not sure. Maybe because we were one of the last ferries of the year, maybe he thought we were all return visitors and we were already briefed on the foxes. But every time since that trip, the Rangers have talked for at least 5-10 minutes about the foxes. Well, day two of this 10 day trip at South Desor, a fox stole one of my boots. Very humbling for someone who considers themself an experienced backpacker. But foxes are one animal I have not had much contact with in my travels. And Ilse Royale foxes are not your avereage fox. So needless to say, we had to make a decision of whether or not to continue (we were heading to McCargoe Cove and then back to Windigo via the Minong Trail.) We headed back to Windigo the next day, one boot and one birkenstock taped up, via the Greenstone and took the next ferry out. I did talk to a Ranger one trip in Rock Harbor about the foxes and he said they had just recently found a den that was littered with hikers gear, everything from water bottles and filters to boots, sandles and just about anything else you could imagine. It was like an REI store he said. So be cautious and enjoy.