Lake Holloran

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

rubbershield
NewbieCake

Lake Holloran

Post by rubbershield »

Has anyone been to Lake Holloran? I'm interested in seeing the lake and maybe Martin Holloran's cabin. I read in Diaries of an Isle Royale Fisherman that his cabin is on the west end of the lake. It's a single story log cabin with a triangular chimney and maybe a porch.
Chorizo
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 19

Re: Lake Holloran

Post by Chorizo »

Interesting, I've never heard that before. I have never been there but back in 2003 my wife and I shared a campsite at North Desor with a couple of older gentlemen in their late 60's and early 70's. I think their names were Jerry and Earl. (and if either of you guys are reading this please let me know) They were great to have met as they had some good stories and had been to I.R. dozens of times. We also shared stories about Wind River Wyoming and they gave my wife the confidence to take a week in "The Winds" as they called it. Nonetheless they told us a story of how they had bushwacked their way off the Feldtmann trail down to lake Halloran one year. I remember them saying that it was a tough go through those sedges to get there. However they said they were rewarded by an afternoon of incredible fishing, landing a pike on nearly every cast. If you go please let us know, and post some pics, particularly if you find the cabin.
rubbershield
NewbieCake

Post by rubbershield »

Wow, that sounds really cool. I'd read that it had good fishing so that was another reason I wanted to go. It looks like the closest it gets to the Feldtmann Ridge Trail is only a half mile over flat terrain, but it's swampy because of that. It should be easy if I can get monuments to get angles off of, but I think I remember that whole area being relatively flat and rolling when not already covered by foliage.

I also think it would be cool to get up on Houghton Ridge! :P
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Kevinl »

I might have met those same gentlemen, or someone of similar description, once at Siskiwit Bay (can't remember the year). They had just come back with some great fishing stories of many many northern pike, all about average size. They shared their pike with us and they tasted great. I remember that they said anyone who can read a map and compass should be able to get in there. I also remember they said it was thick bushwhacking, as I imagine most bushwhacking on the island would be.

Chorizo, the Winds are really something aren't they, although I've never seen worse mosquitos.
rubbershield
NewbieCake

Post by rubbershield »

More about monster pike:
http://tinyurl.com/282lc3g

I looked at the backcountry permits thread and it looks like the entire area is closed when I'll be there. Does this apply to day hikes off trail or just campers?
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Backpacker534 »

I looked at the backcountry permits thread and it looks like the entire area is closed when I'll be there. Does this apply to day hikes off trail or just campers?
rubbershield, that's a good question. When my buddy and I camped off-trail a couple years ago the ranger gave us a xerox copied map indicating where the closed areas were. They said certain areas were closed because of nesting loons and people in the area would disturb them and drive them from their nests and chicks. I would guess that if an area is closed for that reason, that it would be closed for campers and off-trail hikes to protect the loons. But, that's my unofficial guess. I know there is someone in this forum with a more definitive answer to that question.
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR

Post by Backpacker534 »

Looks like this question was answered in the thread, "Backcountry Zones". Too bad I read that post after this one. :oops:
Those are camping restrictions - you can bushwhack anywhere (except stay away from loon nests on shore).
mdenys
NewbieCake

Post by mdenys »

I would suggest going very early in the year. I spent a week off trail in that area last year while volunteering with the Wolf-Moose study. We were there in the middle of May and it was some of the thickest brush, cedar swamp, deadfalls and just about anything else that could impede hiking I have ever been through. Most of it was with only a day pack and it was still incredibly slow. I could not imagine trying it any later in the year.
Chorizo
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 19

Post by Chorizo »

Chorizo, the Winds are really something aren't they, although I've never seen worse mosquitos
Yeah, my favorite place besides I.R. Problem is it is nearly as hard to get to (from N. Wisconsin where I live) plus people I know have had trouble getting around there as late as early July due to snowpack in some years while at the same time dealing with atrocious bugs as you mentioned. We've always gone a couple of weeks into September when the bugs are well dead cause of the early cold up there. And that's your trade-off, we've nearly been snowed in a couple of times. We woke up to 15 degrees and a frozen lake the one morning. Unbelievably beautiful though. And the trout...
rudemark
NewbieCake

Post by rudemark »

Haven't been there in many decades so information is somewhat dated. As mdenys suggested, even though its a relatively short distance from the Feldtman Ridge trail it can be challenging, especially if it hs been a rather wet season. We usually were able to follow a moose "trail" to access the lake however plan on wet and muddy boots and be prepared to swat a lot of flies and mosquitos. In the 1950's the cabin was in pretty bad shape with vegetation taking root around and in; I'm quite sure no effort was made to stabilize the site so would expect only remnants remain of the cabin. Regarding fishing, small Northerns abound and were easily caught with any lure offered - we even tied a piece of handkerchief to a hook with amazing results. The pike have orange meat and are very good "eaters" particularly in early June. The last report I have from anybody who has made the trek was about 10 years ago and they reported conditions about the same as described above, however they did not look for or find the cabin so can not give any updated info in that regard. If you have the time and inclination, go for it, then give us a trip report with updated info.
MR
Damon S
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Damon S »

I found that to be very interesting as well. I'd love to hike back in there.

As told by Elling Seglem (Seglem harbor/Fishermans Home), "Started out for his place at 2pm (Hallorans) and reached it at 6pm. Some ride/1mile on his raft up the little inland lake."

And, "That's some hike, I'll say, through the dense timber where the sun never shines."

The history of IR fascinates me, especially the diary of Elling Seglem.

Damon...
rubbershield
NewbieCake

Post by rubbershield »

rudemark wrote:In the 1950's the cabin was in pretty bad shape with vegetation taking root around and in; I'm quite sure no effort was made to stabilize the site so would expect only remnants remain of the cabin.
rudemark, do you remember which end of the lake the cabin was on? Diaries of an Isle Royale Fisherman gives some conflicting info.
[i]Diaries of an Isle Royale Fisherman[/i], page 23 wrote:After that 9:30 A.M. I started back for home 9 miles away. Halloran poled me down the little lake on his great raft for a mile, to the east end of the lake (his cabin is at the west end)...
That was written by Elling Seglem. So his cabin is on the west end. But in the notes section...
[i]Diaries of an Isle Royale Fisherman[/i], page 170 wrote:Martin Halloran: Halloran was a fisherman whose cabin was located inland on Lake Halloran; to reach it he often poled a raft across the lake to the eastern end where his cabin was located.
So which is it? East or West?

I would really like to see Halloran's cabin if not for the adventure of it, then for pictures for the enjoyment of everyone who can't make it.
Damon S
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Damon S »

From what I read in the book..

it said his cabin was located on the west end of the lake.

Damon...
rudemark
NewbieCake

Post by rudemark »

Cabin on west end of lake. According to my father/Grandfather, Halloran would, if not usually at least occasionally beach a small boat on the lakeshore inside of McCormicks trolling reef (not to be confused with McCormick Rocks) then make the relatively short cross country hike to Halloran Lake from there. I don't know when halloran first arrived but he may have been there before the logging company built the road from Siskiwit Bay to Feldtman ridge, thus the walk in from the lakeshore would be the "easy" way to access the lake prior to the road. Possibly Liz Valencia Has been able to acquire some info as to what years Halloran was on the island.
MR
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR

Post by Backpacker534 »

I just took a quick look at Halloran Lake on Google Maps but didn't see much. However, the photos were from the winter when the lake was frozen over and everything was black and white. Maybe Google Earth or another mapping program would show more details.