Hammocks Inside of Shelters

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Re: Hammocks Inside of Shelters

Post by Tightlines01 »

Two things stick out. First the person was talking of putting points onto the Camps so they would hold. I'm pretty sure that would carve the beams/pillars up some. Secondly I agree that if your taking large scale c clamps wood blocks to protect the shelters and anything else to hang a hammock inside the shelter your taking a huge penalty on weight.
manumuskin
NewbieCake

Post by manumuskin »

www.junglehammock.com your hammock can be ytour shelter
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Vandy wrote:I'd say it depends on the shelter. My last trip I shared the Todd Harbor shelter with a group of 3 others. One of them hung his hammock and appeared to be quite comfy.
What method was used?

I’ve given some thought to the engineering of a lightweight hammock attachment system for construction lumber, both studs and rafters. The most obvious method that avoids drilling holes or intruding the wood would utilize compression and friction. The engineering challenge is creating a large enough surface area while keeping the weight down without sacrificing strength of material. I suspect any workable system would eventually cause some deformation of the wood, not with a single use but over repeated uses. This would be primarily due to the facts that the density of the wood varies and the variable thickness of the span would require adjustability in the mechanism. Potential over-tightening would play an important role in the deformation of the wood. The deformation (imprint) could be held to an insignificant level but I doubt it would be seen that way by some people. The population of users is definitely small and then there is the cost/weight equation. If hammocks were far more popular a permanently installed system would probably be acceptable.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Vandy
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Post by Vandy »

If I remember correctly, there was a 1x2 slat attached to the wall near the door where he attached one end and he attached the other end around the frame on the screened side. He tied off both ends, no hooks, no straps.