first Itinerary questions for 2010

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

head2north
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Re: first Itinerary questions for 2010

Post by head2north »

DonNewcomb wrote:More pi**ed that anything else. Really, when you try your best to follow all their rules and then get told you did it all wrong, it's really frustrating.
A couple of years ago I set foot in Rock Harbor Visitor Center and attempted to get backcountry permit, I knew all the rules
and it was clear the person i was speaking to had some other views/thoughts. I took the converstation with a grain of
salt because....

I know the person was a volunteer Interprative ranger on the island promoting with protection of park with good intentions.
I was frustrated too buy understood the volunteer ranger's "point of view" when i listened, even though i knew otherwise.
yukonjack2
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by yukonjack2 »

I checked with the rangers before booking - they said the zone including seargent lake is open that time of year.
Overgrown or not, we are going in there to recreate a scout trip from over 30 years ago. I hear the pike jump on your line there as well
which beats pasta and mashed potatoes!

thanx for the info -
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

OTOH, we were just shown the map and given no specific instructions other than not to camp outside the approved zones. (This on Ranger III) We were not given a copy of the map, so after getting our permits, we had to rely on our memories as to where the zone boundaries were. It was not explained that the XC permits were for a specific date. In fact the permit does not really seem to have a space for date, rather it assumes a specific sequence of overnight stays from the beginning to the end of your visit. Essentially we fell into a trap. No one really seemed to care about the specific dates we'd be XC except this one guy who wanted to read us the riot act. I just don't want anyone else to fall into a similar trap.[/quote]

Don,
While I was not there when you were issued your permit, I know the normal process requires you to view the backcoutry zone map, pick your zone and date of stay. After reading the directions for a Cross Country Permit, which the NPS requires, you (the "trip leader") are to sign the permit that states on the bottom: the party will abide by the regulations. Those that do not can be cited for violating the regs and conditions. That seems pretty clear and fair to me. On the back of the permit is a map of the island with zones. While the map is not detailed in topo fashion, you should be able to figure out where you want to go if you are familiar with Isle Royale. Off trail hiking on the Island is difficult which is why the NPS does not promote it. Familiarity with the Island also is a plus in picking a backountry zone, perhaps another reason why the Park Service discourages backcountry travel particularly for backpackers new to IR . On the bottom of the page, the sheet states it is recomended for experienced backpackers and paddlers familiar with Isle Royale. I don't think the NPS is out to "trap" anyone, rather I think they are trying to help the backpacker and paddler not familiar with IR to set up a trip that is enjoyable, safe and within their experience level.
Being that this was your first trip to IR, perhaps backcountry travel was not a good idea given the problems you encounterd.

As I am not a Park Service Employee, my opinions are my own and do not reflect official policy. Those who read this hopefully will benefit from your experience with Backcountry Travel on IR.
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by IncaRoads »

FYI. I've posted a current backcountry map and instructions for the permit under the topic "Backcountry Zones".
yukonjack2
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by yukonjack2 »

Thanx for the info - zone 14 into seargent lake is open for off trail camping!