Shelter Graffiti

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: Shelter Graffiti

Post by Tom »

What you discovered Rafiki, is that "Ignorantia legis neminem excusat." - Ignorance of the law excuses no one.
With limited legal precidents excluding that in the United States court system, it's a rule that still holds at this time.
Given enough years, politicians, and lawyers, the law books both Federally and locally are immense. However, legally speaking, none of us is allowed to argue "I didn't know" - Well, not at least expecting to be successful. For instance, don't get drunk on a train in Michigan; and don't cross into Wisconsin territory from Minnesota with a duck on your head. Both are illegal, both COULD earn you a ticket. (They may have repealed that one the last session - I forget.)

I respect that the rangers on the Isle have a but a limited time when we get off the boat to address us before we're on our way. I also respect there is only so much print space available on permits, etc. At some point, something has to give, and they elect to highlight what is most important to them - Not only what is illegal. For instance, my permit has never said I can't randomly shoot a wolf. However, perhaps because I'm familiar with the endangered species act, or perhaps of 'common sense' - I know they'd be really mad if I did that. I might get a ticket.

Ultimately, it's not the forum members you need to debate your views. You'll get both sides to the argument, I'm sure, but most folks come here to talk about what to do and where to go, and aren't perhaps as interested in the esoteric debate. It's not the law enforcement rangers, or other authorized personel, like Damon, you need to convince, either. Sure, they have discretion in giving the ticket, but they CAN issue a ticket. The person you may wish to save your argument for is the Federal judge you'll find yourself in front of. They may see things your way, or may not. They'll certainly use the results of previous case law in aiding their decision, and you can find many cases where folks were charged for graffiti. I DO know that while you may wish to take your own chances with shelters, I certainly would stay away from the mines, old fishing houses, etc. If you deface or damage one of those, then they can nail you with the antiquities act, and the penalties are far worse..
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

I agree Tom, I believe there are plenty of other better things to discuss on the forum. So if nobody else has any objections with casting this argument aside, I completely fine with that. I still would not mind seeing any of graffiti that people took pictures of while on their vacation, so for all you that are reading this or have come to the forum several months or years after I make this posting, please be sure to attach some pictures.

Now onto the plenty of other better thing to discuss....Tom would you mind checking out a route dilemma I was having http://www.isleroyaleforums.com/viewtop ... f=4&t=1374 and tell me if you can come up with a better idea than what I have concluded to use as a means to solve it. It's a lengthy topic, so no rush if you do not have an immediate chance to look things over. Any other help from people other than Tom would also greatly be appreciated.Thanks ahead of time.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
Damon S
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Damon S »

Rafiki,

You're either a terribly fast typist, or you have a ton of time on your hands. Fact is, no matter how much you write, your still wrong. And it's funny how you buried that statement about me and the electric chair...very funny.

It was also pretty clear throughout your posts that you had some personal connection with this graffiti topic and a overall bad experience with something. I speculated that maybe that 'something' was a less than cordial encounter with a lawman. I also knew that you participated in this defacing of National Park Service Property. And, lo and behold, it only took you a few more posts to finally confess. Guess I'm pretty good. Sorry about the citation you received. You should have fought it since you believe the landscape has to be littered with warnings and lists of regulations so you don't have to claim ignorance to the law. Maybe the Judge would have better understood your situation if you convinced him that there should have been volunteers handing out booklets of regs so you could have familiarized yourself with them before heading out on the water.

This is my last post so I'll let you have the the last word if you so choose Rakiki.
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

Not directly related, but somewhat related:

http://www.azfamily.com/news/Man-senten ... 60189.html

I am amazed that people can be so clueless.
rudemark
NewbieCake

Post by rudemark »

Rafiki
Suggestion re: user name. Make it a double "f", change the "k" to a "t", add a first initial "G", and it would be perfectly self expressive.