GRT FKT - water sources

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

ericcharette
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

GRT FKT - water sources

Post by ericcharette »

Hello!

As an ultrarunner and having grown up in the UP and graduated from MTU, I have been fascinated with running the Greenstone Ridge Trail. From my research, it looks like the fastest known time (FKT) from Windigo to Lookout Louise is 10 hours 17 minutes (but this is sketchy, with no official details behind the record, so its validity is in question). Having just run rim to rim to rim in the Grand Canyon for fun in 11 hours (41 miles) I think that I can run the GRT in well under 10 hours.

Anyway, my questions are numerous, but to start I need to know what water sources are available on the GRT? I have all of the maps and guidebooks, but realize that the experts here are the best source on this knowledge. I am probably running the trail in mid June or late July, so take that into consideration. I will have a light pack with me and can filter water, but growing up in the UP I have been drinking out of questionable streams for years without issue! I just don't want to veer off of the trail if possible as I am trying to run the trail as fast as possible.

Any feedback on either other known FKT times or water sources would be much appreciated.

Thanks! Eric
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: GRT FKT - water sources

Post by jerry »

How often are you needing to replenish your water? You might need someone to meet you with water from one of the lakes/campgrounds along the way. There are places you'll have to go to the campgrounds to get your water from the lakes there.
danha1en
NewbieCake

Post by danha1en »

Someone who hiked the Greenstone recently might have more memory of smaller streams you may cross on the path--but water isn't all around right on the trail. Since it follows the ridge, your guaranteed water spots will have to come from the campsite areas off the trail--Island Mine, Lake Desor, Hatchet Lake, Chickenbone Lake, etc. Some of those side trips are shorter than others, so you'll have to do a bit of planning based upon how much water you'll be carrying and how much you drink. Additionally, most of them will be downhill, so after you fill up on water you'll have to run back up the ridge... Picking up the trails illustrated map might prove useful in order to get a better mileage and elevation estimate on your path.
Redbad
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by Redbad »

There is only one water source on the Greenstone Ridge trail (the little creek that runs between Chickenbone Lake and Lake Livermore). When I say little, it is little (the portage runs along the creek).

The other water sources are at the campgrounds which are all some distance off the trail (and downhill from the trail) which will require a run downhill to get to water and then a run back uphill to get back on the trail). Some campgrounds, such as Hatchet lake and SLD) have somewhat difficult access to water (rather steep banks that have to be traversed to get to the water). Some of the trails to the campgrounds are a bit technical which would mean that it would be unsafe to try to "run" them.

Your best bet might be to get a military grade Camelbak that has a 6 quart/liter bladder (and station a support person at the Ishpeming Point tower or thereabouts with extra water) and then run the trail from end to end without stopping for water.