Coffee On The Isle

Discuss food & groceries, share recipes, and other backcountry cooking & food-related topics here!

Moderator: hooky

fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Re: Coffee On The Isle

Post by fonixmunkee »

Zebra11 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:57 amI’m a bit worried about any metallic taste it may get but it can’t be any worse than some of the instant brands! I’ll try and remember to update this when I return.
Looking forward to your report!
Zebra11
NewbieCake

Post by Zebra11 »

French press worked great for coffee quality! I had a generic Amazon backpacking french press with an aluminum pot and silicone lid. The pot was pretty inefficient to heat compared to my other cook pots. To save weight it doubled as my cook pot so I used about 3 times more fuel than usual but that factor will vary with the quality of your own setup. Coffee was awesome and the weight of carrying fresh grounds for an 8 day setup wasn’t much of a factor. Now the real drawback: extra clean up! Washing out coffee grounds and all the components of the press and screen was tedious. It definitely slowed my morning routine to get camp cleaned up and on the trail (or water in my case).
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

Zebra11 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:32 am French press worked great for coffee quality! I had a generic Amazon backpacking french press with an aluminum pot and silicone lid. The pot was pretty inefficient to heat compared to my other cook pots. To save weight it doubled as my cook pot so I used about 3 times more fuel than usual but that factor will vary with the quality of your own setup. Coffee was awesome and the weight of carrying fresh grounds for an 8 day setup wasn’t much of a factor. Now the real drawback: extra clean up! Washing out coffee grounds and all the components of the press and screen was tedious. It definitely slowed my morning routine to get camp cleaned up and on the trail (or water in my case).
You're a better person than I am. I've avoided using the french press on backpacking trips. I found it to be a giant pain to deal with packing out the grounds. That little Via tube is so much easier to deal with and the morning coffee is still very drinkable. :mrgreen:

ETA -Never mind my comment. I just realized you're not backpacking. Canoe trips find me bring the french presss.
alicecw
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by alicecw »

It's more expensive than Starbucks Via, but I've been really happy with the instant coffee from Ruby Coffee. It's a small coffee roaster from Central Wisconsin and the instant packets work with both hot and cold water (though I found extra stirring needed when using cold water). Here's the link: https://rubycoffeeroasters.com/collecti ... t-creamery
RedLeg
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by RedLeg »

Morning Coffe / Jetboil Flash

(1) packet of Cafe' Bustello
(1) packet of Tasters Choice
22' Moosewatch #4
22' RH-CI-MB-IL-WL-CH-MB-RH / 13d packraft
21' RH-DF-MB-CH-MC-MB-3M-RH / 11d