Katadyn Water Filter

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

MattC
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Katadyn Water Filter

Post by MattC »

Anyone have experience with this make of water filter?
I just picked it up yesterday as I was using a LifeStraw but it does not pack well. At all. Way to bulky and took up precious real estate in my wife pack.
So, we headed for REI and it was same price so the exchange was easy. LifeStraw filtered .01 vs. .02 on the Katadryn. I feel comfortable with the .01 difference.
Love the bag design and it folds up really small into it own pouch. Filters 2litres a minute too which seemed desirable to get water fast as soon as we reach camp.
Here's the links:
http://www.rei.com/product/870244/katad ... ideo-inner

Here's the one I returned:
http://www.rei.com/product/869152/lifes ... y-purifier

And input appreciated!
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Re: Katadyn Water Filter

Post by tree rattt »

I talked to some folks last week that were using one of these.I never saw one before, so I had to ask about it.They had no complaints.
MattC
LNT Expert

Post by MattC »

No complaints is good!
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

I have the same gravity filter. Just beware of dipping right out of the lake. Sand (can be suspended even in clear water) or other floating debris can clog it up badly quickly.

I use mine when I have 3 or more going (but then were still packing an extra filter system as backup). By myself I'll just pump traditionally. It's more of a convience thing for larger groups IMO. Don't get me wrong with a group it's the cats patut. Beat tip is bring something to dip the water into, let it settle for a bit, then slowly dump into the bag part. Even a couple gallon zip locks would help settle the debris and at very few ounces.
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker

Post by Lucky Chicken »

good point tightlines. I have an MSR gravity filter, it is very nice but I usually dip the whole bladder in the lake/ river/ whatever and let it hang until the outside is dry again. This lets it settle.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

What we do with the platy is the gallon zip lock for dipping and settling then a bandana for the big stuff that you can see.I have one with printing on one side so the same side is always up.we started doing this at daisey farm because there were a lot of little bugs or something in the water ....maybe it was that water flea ...not sure ....just didn't want them in my filter ;)
MattC
LNT Expert

Post by MattC »

great idea with the bandana, treeratt. I also have one with printing only on one side and think I'll use that trick!
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

I have one, although without the fancy clear window to see your water level.. Must be slightly older. I picked it up a couple years ago, it's worked well and is certainly a convenient way to filter water in camp. Something I really like is that the filters are interchangeable/the same as/ the PUR/Katadyn Hiker pump filters, which is also what I use. Best of both worlds!
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

I have been using the Basecamp for at least 8 years. I have the earlier version that came with a ceramic filter element (similar to the MSR Miniworks ceramic cartidge). When the water flow slows, I pull the cartidge, scrub it with a scotch pad and back to filtering. It is a little slow, but beats pumping water.I came across one in a Yellowstone NP camp store on clearance that was less $$$$ than buying a replacement cartidge would have cost, so I have 2. a We have in the past been able to provide water for 6 people with it. I came across a 'can't pass the price' deal on a platypus gravity filter. have not tried it yet.
MattC
LNT Expert

Post by MattC »

It worked awesome on the trip. The 6 liter bag was great and I could store for morning use and have some nice cool water to fill my bottle up before hitting the trail. So glad I switched from the bulky LifeStraw. Packs light and compact. Definitely will recommend to anyone looking for a new filter.
Didn't come across much debris either when pulling water. That was nice. I used my 10 liter SeatoSummit foldable bucket and ported water to camp and transferred water that way. Super easy.