Chippewa Harbor via Lake Superior by canoe

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Re: Chippewa Harbor via Lake Superior by canoe

Post by Rafiki »

So is the moral of this story truly set on it being too risky to paddle an open kevlar canoe from Caribou Island to Chippewa Harbor. I mean here I was being all proud that I was able to convince myself that paddling from Malone Bay to the Isle Royale lighthouse was not a good idea, especially with a canoe. I have to admit though, I'm really struggling to convince myself not to do this paddle. It's that damn portage from Moskey Basin to Lake Richie. That one is the worst on the island :!: :!: :!: I'd take the Duncan Bay portage with a smile and without complaint over that one. In fact, while I didn't smile while doing the Duncan Bay portage last year, I definitely was not bothered by it, and therefore, there was no complaining. Ughhh, but the Moskey Basin to Lake Richie...FML (you either know this acronym or you don't). So give further perspective boys (girls too)...talk me down...maybe even save my life. I'd like to say that I have a VHF radio, but I have a feeling that is not going to count for much if your opinion :lol: I'm thinking about attempting this at the beginning of August this year ;)
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Rafiki ....the propper club for the for the propper shot.I have told you this on a different thread.Kayak, kayak, kayak.I don't care what anyone says taking a canoe into lk superior solo is asking for trouble! I know many have been lucky and had no issues. IF you are insistant on a canoe ...that is fine, but I would be outfitted with float bags and decking....not sure what the propper name is but it is like a spray skirt for a canoe.Also if paddling solo I would consider being comfortable with paddling from the center on your knees or with a saddle.I have seen the lake shift too fast too many times to recomend anyone attempt to do a lk crossing without propper preperation!!!! Rafiki how is your self rescue ? Do you have exposure gear ...a wetsuit? If you don't wear it can you put it on in the water?......in the waves? Solo is some dangerous $***. The most important thing...paddle with ATTIDUDE and KNOW you can do it before you try...because there is no trying....just doing!
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Oh and one more thing. I read on here that the lake can change in hours.....I have seen it change in minutes!!! I am talking dead flat to 8 footers in 15 minutes......yeah that was fun :( add to that a an unfriendly shoreline ...rocks and cliffs.....we were lucky to find a little cove to get out.

VHF radios are unreliable at best ...kinda like a cell phone they work well when u don't need them ....make sure you carry some type of signal device flares or smoke ....hedge the bet whenever possible!

Ok that was a few things.I don't want to crush your dreams I want you to be safe, preparred and rock it!

We All want to hear the trip report! ;) :)
Rafiki
IR Expert

Post by Rafiki »

I'm going with my girlfriend...so not to worry...no solo adventures here :) No wetsuits either unfortunately. Can you elaborate on float bag? And if decking/spray skirt is not available for the rental (I'm guessing it probably won't be) does that immediately take this route off of the table?
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Float bags are large inflatable bags that tie into a canoe and displace water...allowing you a safer place to hang out incase you are swamped..in white water canoes they take this to the extreme...they use enough floatation that they are able to roll the boat back up incase of a capscise.You mentioned a kevlar boat ....sorry but I assumed it was your own and you were outfitting it.The float bags are worth their weight in gold when it hits the fan.Back when I paddled white water, I used float bags in my kayak.They really keep water weight from causing trouble ....a flooded boat becomes unmanageable in the waves. I wouldnt say that no decking is a deal breaker ....but look into the floatation if you can...good piece of mind and it makes you virtually unswampable.
Rafiki
IR Expert

Post by Rafiki »

Thanks for keeping it real Tree-Ratt. As much as I hate the thought of portaging the trail from Moskey to Lake Richie, if it means coming out alive with my girlfriend, that will be enough for me to break my back...twice too, because we'll have to go back that way. The crazy things love will make you do. I still am going to piss and moan about it...I hate that portage. I'll never do it again after this time. I said that the last time I did it, but I think it will be really ground into my head after I do it for a third....especially after doing the second time just 7 days early.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Have you been getting any lake superior paddling? Sounds like a good oppertunity to get some experience. I certainly don't want to be a dream crusher! That's just not what I am about :) .I just want to help you be preparred. The portage from Moskey to Ritchie would bite it!.....especially for the third time!...Whats this love stuff your talking about? I am a married man, I don't understand what you mean. ;p ....just kidding ladies! :)

What is the trip plan? I know that the stretch from Daisey to Malone looks relatively forgiving. We scouted it from the V2 for an upcoming yak trip. Looks like a lot of pocket beaches about every mile or two....good for an emergency beach camp.....not that I would ever do such a thing ;) just a half witted thought.You could build some good lake experience over the coarse of a few days.
Rafiki
IR Expert

Post by Rafiki »

Ya that's the thing. I really want to develop the experience. The trip plan involves checking out the inter lakes that circle around Lake Siskiwit and Chippewa Harbor as well as checking out Lake Siskiwit itself. I'm fine with doing wimpy .6 to .8 mile portages, but once were start talking about 1.8 miles (or something like that between Moskey Basin and Lake Richie), I know that even in the good shape that I am in with a Kevlar Canoe...it's tiring because your shoulders get aggravated with the canoe digging into it via the yolk pads. The balancing, weight, and distance aspects of portaging a canoe does not bother me at all...only having my shoulders gouged and pressed down. Maybe I need to figure out how to make the pads a little bit more plush. I tired put shirts on my shoulders to give it some cushion but that didn't really help. Maybe I should consider tying very thick sponges to the yolk pads. Not sure.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Can't help ya there ....I developed an allergy to carrying my kayak, further than from the truck to the lake! :) I will see the superior shore, but I doubt I will ever paddle the interior lakes ......good luck!
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Sticking to shoreline isn't such a big deal ....it was the crossing that concerned me ...it is an hour unprotected.....of course one could stay at the light house if things got scary :)

OOOHHHH! Silly me, I have a solution. Since I am going to carry your packs anyway. If you and your GF don't mind a little alone time. I can hike back and get the canoe also :) .Just hope I can sit in the middle to catch my breath. ;)
Last edited by tree rattt on Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

Try cutting some closed cell foam for extra padding on the yoke.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Hey just a build on hooky's suggestion.Check out a garden kneeler. Bout an inch thick and made of soft neoprene or something....also seen them sold in camoflage as hunting seats. May be softer than the old blue foam pad, and only a few bucks. Another scource may be to canableize an old life vest ..pfd, some use a soft neoprene foam instead of the ridgid stuff. Also seen people use pipe insulation and duct tape ....pipe insulation from home depot..typically a grey split tube, seen it in different sizes.......just a few more thoughts
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

I've found the pipe insulation compresses too much to provide enough cushion. I like the garden knee pad idea though. An old sleeping pad would be ideal.
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Lucky Chicken »

here is a wild idea to help your problem... If you have an old frame pack (or a new one) you can modify the frame to cradle the yoke then all the weight is transfered to your hips just like you were backpacking.

Not my picture, but something like this http://www.sandslave.com/knupac/IMG_9530.jpg

I have something similar made for my pack to carry my kayak
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

Problem solved. Just pull it up the trail to Ritchie.

http://www.theimpracticalfishermen.com/ ... upper.html

Upgrade the tires and you're good to go. :D