Zebra Mussels and fishing gear

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

alecto73
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Zebra Mussels and fishing gear

Post by alecto73 »

Hey gang... long time no post but - I have recently gotten into fishing, Tenkara specifically and I have a question about Zebra Mussel proliferation I figure is worth posing here. Should I be concerned about unintended transport of them on lines and small fly lures, or only larger objects like boats and buckets? It's pretty simple to switch lines for me but I don't want to do it if I'm just being silly.
|| Jess ||
bobcat
Bushwacker

Re: Zebra Mussels and fishing gear

Post by bobcat »

Can’t speak to zebra mussels but there are several other aquatic invaders that could easily be on your line, in your water filter, etc such as spiny water fleas. Check the Greenstone” park newsletter and planning guide, for their recommendations.
alecto73
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by alecto73 »

This isn't so much a backpacking question or an ISRO one, just a general one as I will be hitting a local lake this weekend that has an alert about the Zebra Mussels. I am already careful with the backpacking gear when I'm up there but fishing is a new thing for me.
|| Jess ||
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Zebra Mussels have been in Lake Superior for about 30 years now, found mainly in the bigger commercial shipping port areas of Duluth/Superior and Thunder Bay. I think they were first seen on Isle Royale about 10 years ago. Here's a more dramatic and more recent report singling out both the Windigo dock and to a greater degree, Mott Island.

Zebra Mussel concerns at Isle Royale focus much more on marine vessels (including canoes and kayaks) that might have the buggers attached. As Bobcat highlighted, the greater concern for fishing tackle and water filter equipment and water shoes and even swim wear are the much smaller invasive species like the spiny water flea. These are no larger than 1/2 inch (and often so small they can't be seen).
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

alecto73 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 1:49 pm Should I be concerned about unintended transport of them on lines and small fly lures, or only larger objects like boats and buckets?
Boats and buckets. Most zebra mussel transport occurs at the veliger (final larval) stage. They get into ballast tanks, live wells, etc, and then get discharged into new waters.
Unlike the spiny water flea which can hitch rides between waters on your line, that's tougher for the mussel. Letting equipment dry goes a long way; if you felt like your flies could harbor them, a dunk in very low concentration of propylene glycol antifreeze does wonders. https://www.maisrc.umn.edu/zm-antifreeze
The University of MN has been doing quite a bit of research on how to best prevent them moving between lakes. (We have a lot of them.)
https://www.maisrc.umn.edu/zebramussel-research
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Tom wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 6:49 pma dunk in very low concentration of propylene glycol antifreeze does wonders.
I wonder if they caught any fish after that? My question is mostly tongue in cheek but I know Lake Trout fishermen that don't even like to touch their lures and swear it makes a difference. Probably not Northern so much. I think they attack anything that moves. :roll:
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

Midwest Ed wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 9:06 pm I wonder if they caught any fish after that?
Ha. I was thinking the same thing. At least it's propylene glycol and not ethylene.
Maybe it will turn out to attract fish in the same rumored way spraying WD-40 on your lures is supposed to work. I always cringed when I saw folks do that and drop it in the water, but it turns out it must be in small enough quantities that some agencies have come out to say it's fine: https://idfg.idaho.gov/question/can-you-use-wd-40-lures
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »