August Gear Suggestions

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

hmt
NewbieCake

August Gear Suggestions

Post by hmt »

Hi all! Two of us will be on Isle Royale for 3 days/2 nights in the middle of August. We have most of our gear already, but we have a few specific questions as to what will be needed and what you could recommend:

1. Have you found any specific bug dope that works particularly well on IR? Also, thoughts on permethrin-treating clothes and gear? And is a head net needed in August?

2. Are rain pants and gaiters a must? I know that's tricky to answer and you can't predict the weather, but does it tend to rain often in August? (With El Nino I'm guessing it's raining a bunch there this summer?)

3. In the same vein, does it tend to get pretty cold in August? Should we bring gloves and a beanie or will we be fine for a couple nights without them?

We would love any gear recommendations that are must-haves on the island! We have all our major things (packs, bags, tent, filter, etc.), but definitely appreciate anything you wish you'd had/didn't have when you went.

Thanks so much!! I've been pouring over this forum for a week now and have learned so much!
chippy
NewbieCake

Re: August Gear Suggestions

Post by chippy »

I went in August of 2017:
1. First off, I always feel like the bugs are not as bad on IR as they are on the mainland :) Yes, I would still permethrin everything. I like the Sawyer Picardin spray for bug dope- seems to work well in my opinion. I have never used a head net.
2. In August, it's warm enough that if it rains, I would probably just let your legs get wet rather than wear pants (this is assuming you're wearing shorts). You'll just get super hot and miserable with rain pants on...might as well not carry the weight. I have never used gaiters.
3. I had a 22 degree sleeping bag there in August and it was way more than enough each night. I also wore shorts/tshirts all day. You probably won't get cold on the island but I always freeze my butt off on the boat ride there and back! Gloves and a beanie (and a warm jacket, pants, socks, shoes, etc.) a must if you plan on sitting outside while on the boat.

Hope that is helpful :)
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Second Chippy's response with a couple caveats:
1. I always bring a headnet and always will--light weight insurance.
3. That time of year I'm prepared for <50 to >80. I've seen it vary that much in the same day. A strong wind off the lake is cold, esp with rain or fog. I rarely used gloves though.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
bobcat
Bushwacker

Post by bobcat »

Bug dope- I seldom need it but always take a small container. For two nights, consider buying a box of the individual wipes of bug repellent, and just bringing a couple of them. This would probably be lighter than any container. I always take a headset even though I seldom use it in August. It could save your sanity!

Sleeping bag-lighter bag might be ok, providing you have long johns and a fleece sweater that you can wear to supplement if it gets unusually cold. I sleep really cold, but for me, what is under my bed is really important. I take a winter-weight sleeping pad, a 3-season down sleeping bag rated to 35, and definitely base layer wt long underwear, hat, and gloves. Now, September is a different story as the cold weather arrives. Then I carry the heavier sleeping bag.

And, I always take my rain pants and I often wear them on cool mornings as you will get soaked by wet underbrush along many of the trails.
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

1. bug spray- we used a small container (3oz) of picaridin. Yes to the head nets
2. I always wear short "dirty girl" gaiters. They are worth it for me. No rain pants for me. They are hot and annoying.
3. It can get chilly at night. If you have a hood on a jacket you should be ok without a beanie but I liked mine with a small pair of liner gloves.
backwoods doc
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by backwoods doc »

Natrapel is our favorite bug spray -- works well and isn't oily like DEET. Haven't had a need for permethrin.

We bring rain pants for rain, walking through wet vegetation, and to serve as a back-up pair of pants if our pants get soaked.

I bring a fleece -- nice for cool/cold mornings (can be in high 30's/low 40's in July/August), and works as a pillow at night.
2018, 2019, 2021 (all inland lakes by canoe); 2022 X2 (RH and WC); 2023 HC