Portage from Lake Whittlesey to Wood Lake

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

kolo
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 11

Re: Portage from Lake Whittlesey to Wood Lake

Post by kolo »

The portage from Chippewa Harbor to Whittlesey isn't fun, but at least it's pretty short. The trail is filled with boulders that you need to snake around, while climbing and descending two small ridges -- not too much fun with a canoe on your shoulders.

The Whittlesey to Wood Lake trail is mostly flat and easy (but very buggy). As I recall, the wood planks are about 10 inches wide. I think there are one or two stretches of them -- no more than 100 feet or so at a time. If that's concerning, you can walk in the soft mud beside them.

If you're concerned about that first portage, another option is to put in at Malone Bay, from where there are easy paddles/portages to Wood Lake, Whittlesey, Intermediate and Richie -- then back out at Malone Bay.
Thank you for your response backwoods doc! This is helpful information. Do you remember if the wood planks were low to the ground or elevated? I thought about starting at Malone Bay but it has been a while since I have camped at Chippewa Harbor and would like to get back there again.
hoyt.still
NewbieCake

Post by hoyt.still »

The Whittlesey portage is fast and easy. I stay at Wood Lake and can portage and canoe it in about 20 minutes, in the dark. My solo canoe is 26 pounds. I like to walleye fish the last couple of hours of daylight there. And the boardwalks are low and dry. I plan to be in that area the whole month of June. Being retired, I also go solo because nobody can go for 5 weeks.
backwoods doc
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by backwoods doc »

If I remember correctly, the wood planks are about a foot off the ground.
2018, 2019, 2021 (all inland lakes by canoe); 2022 X2 (RH and WC); 2023 HC
kolo
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 11

Post by kolo »

The Whittlesey portage is fast and easy. I stay at Wood Lake and can portage and canoe it in about 20 minutes, in the dark. My solo canoe is 26 pounds. I like to walleye fish the last couple of hours of daylight there. And the boardwalks are low and dry. I plan to be in that area the whole month of June. Being retired, I also go solo because nobody can go for 5 weeks.
hoyt.still thank you for your response to my question! It is very helpful. Also, congratulations on your first post to this forum! This forum/community is made up of good people with helpful information and insight.

If I remember correctly, the wood planks are about a foot off the ground.
backwoods doc thank you too for your response to my question! It is good to know what I will have to haul a canoe over.