Solo Hike

Reports or links to reports on trips.

Moderator: Tom

Kat018
NewbieCake

Solo Hike

Post by Kat018 »

So I'm planning on doing a solo hike around Isle Royale Next summer in mid July early August. I will be 19 years old by then and I consider myself an experienced hiker. I have never done a solo hike before and wondering if there are any tips.
Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Re: Solo Hike

Post by Base654 »

Welcome to the forums.

Just to clarify, are you and experienced hiker and backpacker?

Most of my hikes on the island are solo. During mid July to early August you wont be alone. You will have time to yourself, but there will still be plenty of people around on most of the trails. My biggest concern when I am there is protection from injury. There are lot of slippery, twisty, turny, uppy, downy spots to slow down and be careful as you pass. Nothing technical, but a twisted ankle with no one to carry some of your gear will make the rest of the trip terrible.

On a partner trip, I count on my partner's stove, water filter etc. as backup for mine. When I go solo, I carry backups of my own.

Some people say the shelters should be saved for people traveling in groups. The rule is first come first served. I use shelters when solo, but I am open to sharing and have met plenty of people that way.
Kat018
NewbieCake

Post by Kat018 »

I've been hiking since I was 13 and I have been on many different trips over the years. I did a few in the UP of Michigan and the Superior Hiking Trial. The longest trip I've done was 18 days on the Superior Hiking Trail. I was planning to do Isle Royale a few years go but the trip was cancelled.

I plan to do 22 days on Isle Royale and hike in a full loop starting in Washington Creek up to the minong trail to Rock Harbor and back around to Washington Creek. I know it sounds like a big trip, but I am confident in my abilities. I may find a partner to hike with but I haven't found anyone to go with yet.
Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Post by Base654 »

The only ways to resupply is to send packages to yourself via https://www.isleroyaleboats.com/home.html or to drop packages at the Rock Harbor Lodge. both have costs, but Isle Royale Boats will drop a package ant any of their stops. You have to be there to collect it, charges apply. I spent 18 days on the Island when I was in my early 20s. I carried my food, I don't recommend it. canister stove fuels get bulky with a trip as long as yours. If money permits, a liquid stove might be a thought. You can't send canisters through the mail.

I bought a helinox chair zero (one pound) and I love it. You are younger and more flexible, but a comfortable place to relax is wonderful.

I took a kindle this year and it was much lighter and more comfortable to read. I recharged it with a Luci Light with the usb connector. The light recharges in two days and the kindle lasted over a week with the light on. You will be there long enough that you will be able to not hike the rainy days.

Dry bags make good washing machines
40-50 feet of paracord will fix or repair anything
gorilla tape - put a pot of hot water on a repair to soften the glue to get a better stick.
tent repair stuff
kolo
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 11

Post by kolo »

Base654 offers good information/advice here. I only want to add that if you are staying at Todd Harbor at any point in your trip, check out the graffiti in the lone shelter. I was impressed by the attitude of this young lady!

Attachments
DSC05342.JPG
Kat018
NewbieCake

Post by Kat018 »

I absolutely love that. I wanted to go on this trip after graduation but I was too busy with work and preparing for college.

Do you guys think 22 days is too long by myself? because I can shorten it up a bit and hike more on some days. I want this trip to relaxing and just have fun exploring the whole island. I feel my parents won't much approve of me going by myself for that long, but it is something I want to accomplish alone.
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

22 days on the island sounds like a dream to me. It will give you the time to see lots of things without pushing yourself harder than necessary, and also letting you wait out rainy days. You could borrow or get an Inreach or similar satellite communicator to send periodic "I'm OK" messages.

Have you done a long solo trip before? They can be quite different from a backpacking trip with companions, and the solitude can sometimes get to you. That said, people on the island tend to be pretty friendly. I set out to do a solo trip this May and ended up being more sociable than I usually am when I hike with companions.
Kat018
NewbieCake

Post by Kat018 »

In the past, I have usually hiked in groups ranging from 4-10 people. I love the outdoors and Isle Royale has been a dream of mine for awhile.
The only thing I'm worried about hiking alone is if I'm on the trail and something happens where I hurt myself or get lost.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Kat018 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:10 am Do you guys think 22 days is too long by myself? because I can shorten it up a bit and hike more on some days. I want this trip to relaxing and just have fun exploring the whole island. I feel my parents won't much approve of me going by myself for that long, but it is something I want to accomplish alone.
I don't think there is such a thing as too long :). I'm jealous of the time you have and would say go for as long as you can, while you can! You might consider an inReach or Spot satellite device, especially if that would ease concerns. Although leaving technology behind is part of the appeal to me, when I did my solo trip I reluctantly got an inReach Mini that allowed me to text my wife once a day with a "Doing fine" msg and allowed her to see my location on a webpage--that made her more comfortable with me going alone (but I made her promise that she wouldn't text me back).
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Kat018
NewbieCake

Post by Kat018 »

I have also heard that the Minong Trail is a more tough spot to navigate. Any tips on that trail?
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Kat018 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:58 am In the past, I have usually hiked in groups ranging from 4-10 people. I love the outdoors and Isle Royale has been a dream of mine for awhile.
The only thing I'm worried about hiking alone is if I'm on the trail and something happens where I hurt myself or get lost.
Other than on the Minong, most trails are pretty hard to lose, although you do need to pay attention on some of the rock faces. When solo I'm pretty careful about not leaving the trail. Always carry a loud whistle on your person. Also, there will be other folks on the trail that time of year. And as suggested, consider an inReach or Spot for the ultimate peace of mind.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
bobcat
Bushwacker

Post by bobcat »

There are several people who have hiked a similar trip in the past few months. If you go to the “Trails and Campsites” forum, and look for the discussions of end-to-end loop hike, you will find a lot that might help your planning.
Kelly
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Kelly »

22 days sounds amazing!

As mentioned, you won't want to carry 22-day food supply. I did an 18-day trip once for which I made arrangements for two resupply drops. I planned my itinerary around them. The first was brought in by Voyageur II and dropped off at Chippewa Harbor. I mailed the second to myself at Windigo.

Given the timing of your trip, should something happen while you are alone (such as an injury), you will likely not be alone for long. Loud whistles are good, and using something like an InReach will make other people feel better about your safety. Otherwise, do what you can to mitigate risk. What Base654 said about the terrain is true, and also: wet rocks are slippery!

I've had some solitary stretches there (27 hours once, and almost four days recently), and a Kindle (or your preferred e-reader) is an excellent companion. Although they're less power-hungry than smartphones and tablets, for that length of time, you'll still need a solar charger.

I've always used a twig stove, because I'd rather not carry fuel. This is a minority practice.

If you're hoping for a companion and your friends have different ideas about three weeks on the island, perhaps one or more can join you partway through. I've done that, and it's like I got two (or three) different trips in the same trip.

I LOVE the planning part—figuring out different itineraries until one becomes the clear frontrunner. However, once you're there, you can do anything you want, as long as you show up for your resupplies and the boat (or plane) for when you leave. That's it.
2012 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023 | 2026 A Minong thorough hike
Kat018
NewbieCake

Post by Kat018 »

Thanks everyone for the amazing advice, it's all very helpful! I have a pretty solid plan for my trip and I will definitely look into those supply drops, it seems like a great idea.