Fishing Siskiwit Lake

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

kypaulfg
NewbieCake

Fishing Siskiwit Lake

Post by kypaulfg »

Does anyone have a hot spot for Trout fishing on Siskiwit Lake? We plan on staying there a few days this August.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bobcat
Bushwacker

Re: Fishing Siskiwit Lake

Post by bobcat »

In August, the Lake Trout tend to be deep. Trolling from a boat-will you have a canoe or other small craft?
kypaulfg
NewbieCake

Post by kypaulfg »

kypaulfg wrote:Does anyone have a hot spot for Trout fishing on Siskiwit Lake? We plan on staying there a few days this August.

We will be using a Canoe. Also what type of bait is best?

treeplanter
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Post by treeplanter »

I've never fished Siskiwit lake, but in late August 1992, we spent a few days at Malone Bay. A father/son couple were in a shelter just down from us. There's a trail that leads from Malone to Lake Siskiwit. We helped them move their canoe to Lake Siskiwit. They fished just off-shore from this location. I remember they were trolling (slow paddling) in their canoe with their bait deep, just off the bottom. They did land several lake Trout.
bobcat
Bushwacker

Post by bobcat »

Regarding bait, be sure to read up on the fishing refs for the Park as they are quite stringent with regard to baits.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

At the Malone dock, there is a little cabin. There is (or used to be) a contour map of Siskiwit Lake on the wall. If it is there, take some time to look at dropoffs where summer trout will hang out. Vertical jigging would be a good bet in August along the deeper droppoffs. I would have 3 or 4" white grubs with jigheads (1/4oz). There are reefs on the east end towards Wood lake that would be worth trying. On the west end, there are cliffs on the south shore with steep dropoffs (I used a battery fishfinder) that are worth trying. On the north side of the entrance the big bay at the west end, there is a shelf that comes out and drops off. Try that. You might catch a Whitefish too.

There are big pike to be caught in Siskiwit. The west bay is good, as is the neck going into Wood lake, and the last bay before reaching the south shore. Pinched or barbless hooks only. I replace treble hooks with a single hook or at least cut one of the hooks off a treble hook. If you are not familiar with pike, good eating. There are good videos on filleting them.
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by IncaRoads »

Link to Siskiwit Lake aquatic contour map --> http://fishing-app.gpsnauticalcharts.co ... 8/-88.7970
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

IncaRoads wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:26 pm Link to Siskiwit Lake aquatic contour map --> http://fishing-app.gpsnauticalcharts.co ... 8/-88.7970
Nice map!!
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

IncaRoads wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:26 pm Link to Siskiwit Lake aquatic contour map --> http://fishing-app.gpsnauticalcharts.co ... 8/-88.7970
Looks like that saddle between Ryan and the island to the south is the place to be if you're going to jig on deep drop offs.

Very cool map resource, by the way.
4gen
NewbieCake

Post by 4gen »

For the last 2 years we have fished Siskiwit Lake for lakers the 2nd week in Aug. in both Kayaks and Canoes. Get 1 oz. lake trout Jigs and 4-5" paddle tail swim baits or anything that resembles a smelt for Jigging. Trolling use a gold Doctor's spoon. I used both lead core or 20# line with a 4 Oz. clip weight and at times had 315' of lead behind the kayak but caught lakers on the transition to deep water. I tried to keep the boat in 55-90' deep. Paddled at 1.8-2.1MPH. Yes electronics are key. GPS and a WIFI depth finder were essential for the trip. at the boat launch area just a little left there is a point about 400 yards that is great to jig on paddle West let the wind blow you East and you get 2 transitions up the point and then down the point. any where from a line from Eagles nest to Ryan Island is great for Jigging inbetween the islands. Our Biggest was 34" out of Kayak, average size fish was 24"-31" laker. I have posted each year on our trips just look for 4Gen. Hope this helps?