What happens when you register as a group?

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

Wolfscat
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 10

What happens when you register as a group?

Post by Wolfscat »

My dad and brother and I have been to the island countless times, just in smaller groups. But this time we are both bringing our families. I will have 4 (wife, two kids) and my brother will have 4 (him solo and 3 kids). We are also inviting my dad. So there will be a total of 9 people. We will have a small boat, and plan on camping somewhere in Rock Harbor: either Moskey Basin or Daisy Farm. We will use the boat to shuttle our gear and some kids around Rock Harbor, while the others hike down. My question is, what does it mean to register as a "group camp"?
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: What happens when you register as a group?

Post by Midwest Ed »

Your best source for this information (and a whole lot more) is the park's annual newsletter, The Greenstone. I refer you to pages 8 then 9 then 6.
The basics of group camping are:
- 7 to 10 people
- Fixed itinerary (i.e. no last minute changes allowed) that must be submitted and approved in advance.
- Reserved tent site for each night.
- Not all campgrounds have group tent sites so this may put some limits on your desired campgrounds.
- Shelter use is not allowed
- Additional Special Recreational Permit Fee of $25

You do have the option of splitting into 2 regular groups of 6 or less, but there is an additional restriction that your 2 groups cannot stay at the same campground at the same time. The Special Recreational Permit Fee still applies.

I've only covered the major issues. Please see The Greenstone newsletter as your official source of information.

Edited to correct definition of regular group size of 6 or less.
Last edited by Midwest Ed on Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Bobcat1
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Bobcat1 »

And bear in mind, the rangers do check and are known to be watchful for groups that register as two small parties of 6 or less, then travel and camp together thus avoiding the rules for groups. One big advantage to groups is that you have a reserved site and you will not be uncertain about finding an open campsite.
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
Wolfscat
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Wolfscat »

Thank you for the responses. Hoping things settle down soon and we can continue to plan!