Kayaking Video - Circumnavigating Isle Royale and all of Lake Superior

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Kayaking Video - Circumnavigating Isle Royale and all of Lake Superior

Post by Midwest Ed »

I just ran across this group of 4 graduates from Northern Michigan University that in 2018 circumnavigated the entire Lake Superior and all of Isle Royale with an additional side trip though the boundary waters. They are all involved in the environmental sciences or other related areas so the effort was in furtherance of that work. It looks like the video was just recently finished. I missed the very recent free preview on this year's earth day, but the rest of the documentation is very interesting.
Image 10-7-18 at 9_19 PM.jpg
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Spartan
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Re: Kayaking Video - Circumnavigating Isle Royale and all of Lake Superior

Post by Spartan »

Thanks for the recommendation! My wife and I watched this over the weekend. What an amazing trip by these guys and what a great way to spend a summer.

One thing I found disappointing is that they kind of glossed over the paddle from Minnesota out to Isle Royale (and back). That's like a 14-mile trip through wide-open Superior water, which is a pretty big gamble. (And I think they took an even longer path on the way back.) I think they said they had good conditions but I would have liked to know more about how they thought about it and when they decided to take off. Even under ideal conditions that's easily a four hour trip depending on how strong of a paddler you are. Did they sit around and wait for the ideal time, or did they just get on with it? My wife and I have taken five kayaking trips to IR and we (or at least mostly I) have talked about paddling over from MN but it seems like such a big risk based on how quickly conditions can change. But these guys did it like it was no big deal (and maybe for them, it wasn't).
paddler1225
NewbieCake

Post by paddler1225 »

This link appears broken- does anyone have any info about this circumnavigation trip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

paddler1225 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:32 pmThis link appears broken- does anyone have any info about this circumnavigation trip?
I found this group's Facebook Page
and their Youtube Channel

It looks like they've done more things since the 2020 circumnavigation so you'll need to explore their postings a bit.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
paddler1225
NewbieCake

Post by paddler1225 »

Thank you so much!
I searched and was not able to find anything but broken links.
I appreciate your help so much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk