New Sleeping Pad

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

Grizzly22
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

New Sleeping Pad

Post by Grizzly22 »

Hello Everyone!

I am incredibly excited for my trip to the island at the end of June. I currently have a great 4 season sleeping pad, Thermarest Neoair All Season SV. With and R value of 4.9, It has been a great pad and has served me well. Looking at the average temperatures for June and July, I think that this pad may be a bit of an overkill for this trip. I am looking at getting a similar inflated sleeping pad with a mummy layout instead of a rectangular shape. I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for an alternative sleeping pad for this adventure?

Thanks in advance! :D
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: New Sleeping Pad

Post by Ingo »

My pads are/have been in the R3-4 range, which I've found both sufficient and thankful for. I've seen 39 deg with a good breeze off the lake in July, and thankful for everything I had. Also had nights I didn't need a bag--so you never know. I certainly wouldn't go with an uninsulated pad. If you like your Neoair I'd probably stick with a lighter one. Personally I tried several inflatables, but am back to an old-fashioned Therma-rest self-inflating (24 oz I think).
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Bobcat1
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Bobcat1 »

I am a very cold sleeper, and I carry a very warm sleeping pad, often including a closed-cell foam pad to use with an inflatable 4-season pad, in order for me to be comfortable. Are you trying to have a lighter weight? If your SV pad works well, what is your reason for getting another one? I have heard of people getting the womens version of the NeoAir xlite pad for summer use because it is both warm and compact, at 66" length, and a few ounces lighter than the 72" standard version. I have a Neoair xtherm mummy-shaped pad that I have used in summer, and I like how compact it packs relative to how warm it keeps me. For pure comfort, I use an Exped Downmat7 but it is a tradeoff for weight and compactness not to mention cost.
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
backwoods doc
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by backwoods doc »

Three cheers for the classic Therm-a-Rest pad. I'm about 25 years into my lifetime warranty.
2018, 2019, 2021 (all inland lakes by canoe); 2022 X2 (RH and WC); 2023 HC
Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Post by Base654 »

https://www.rei.com/product/895084/rei- ... eeping-pad fairly cheap, small and light. I have had mine on the island for the last 10 years or so.
Grizzly22
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

New Sleeping Pad

Post by Grizzly22 »

I was planning on getting a slightly smaller one than the one I currently have. The one that I have is great for all weather but I think I can make due with a smaller pad that packs up better and is a little bit lighter. The REI one looks pretty nice. Has anyone tried cableas ultra instinct pad? That one was a bit smaller with the same bang for your buck R value.