Inland fishing on Isle royale

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

Troutnet_2
NewbieCake

Inland fishing on Isle royale

Post by Troutnet_2 »

I am planning a canoe camping trip on Isle Royale in June. We are hoping to catch our dinners and would like to minimize the amount of tackle we carry. In the past, I have had good luck catching lake trout in some of the smaller lakes in the BWCA . Are any Lakers to be found on the interior lakes of Isle Royale? What sort of fishing is found on the inland lakes and what are the most effective lures?
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Inland fishing on Isle royale

Post by Ingo »

There's lake trout in Siskiwit, but not the others. Northern and perch in most (Chickenbone, Richie, Siskiwit, Wood, Whittlesey, Intermediate), walleye in Whittlesey and some in Chickenbone. I don't fish much, but typically bring spoons, spinners, and rapalas when I do--I think whatever success I have is based mostly on luck, so hopefully someone with more skill and experience than I will chime in (like johnhens :) ). But when the northerns are hungry it doesn't seem to matter much! I have had a little luck with a blue cleo (based on johnhens recommendation) on a couple lakers, although in Superior.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Troutnet_2
NewbieCake

Post by Troutnet_2 »

Thank you Ingo! Are there smallmouths to be found inland as well?
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Troutnet_2 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:17 am Thank you Ingo! Are there smallmouths to be found inland as well?
No, no bass on the island.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Troutnet_2
NewbieCake

Post by Troutnet_2 »

Are there smallmouths around the Superior Shoreline?
Bobcat1
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Bobcat1 »

Jonhens is the guy to talk to about fishing!
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Troutnet_2 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:55 pm Are there smallmouths around the Superior Shoreline?
Don't recall ever hearing of any.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

I have heard of an occasional Smallie in Superior waters on the South side. If you want to catch Smallies, try Cheguamegon and Keewenaw bays and the Munnising Bay. Early June, Lake Trout may still be shallow in Siskiwit. Better in the AM or PM. Fish the backside of islands opposite the direction of the wind off the ends. Small diving Rapalas, Little Cleos, KO Wobblers. Steep dropoffs. I always check the area at the mouth of the creek east of the portage for lake trout (sight fishing). There is a good map of Siskiwit in one of these threads. Siskiwit is great for Northern. Spoons (my fav is a Daredevile 5 of Diamonds). Rapalas, Mepps Black Fury, Johnson Silver Minnow, Dr. Spoon, topwaters for the evening, fly fishing (a riot), make sure you use a leader. Also have jaw spreaders and forceps. I cut off one hook on a treble and pinch the barbs or replace the treble hook with a single hook. West bay of Siskiwit inside the weed line is great. BIG Nothern in Siskiwit, my girlfriend hooked a 44" . Wood Lake is great also.
http://fishing-app.gpsnauticalcharts.co ... 9/-88.7977