Soap, shampoo, toothpaste

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

MarjiGesick
NewbieCake

Soap, shampoo, toothpaste

Post by MarjiGesick »

Is there a preferred eco friendly version of these items? Sorry if I'm missing a previously obvious thread about this from the past.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Soap, shampoo, toothpaste

Post by Ingo »

Most eco-friendly is to not use them at all. Toothpaste doesn't clean your teeth any better than just a toothbrush; warm water and a washcloth cleans off most dirt; although long hair is a little more difficult. That said, I use a little baking soda for brushing my teeth, and a little campsuds for washing up--my hair is usually short enough in the summer that a washcloth works just fine there, too. Spit into a cup and dilute well when brushing teeth, throw your waste/wash/rinse water, dispersing it as much as possible, away from any lake/stream.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
JerryB
May actually live on IR

Post by JerryB »

You will be told in the ranger talk at the start of your trip that you must not use any soap—even “eco-friendly” soap—near bodies of waters.
Bobcat1
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Bobcat1 »

I carry a small plastic pail (2.5 qts - paint pail) that adds about 3 oz to my gear but it's useful for so many things! One of them is washing up. I carry a tiny bottle (used to be eyedrops, I think) of Campsuds to use for clean-up of dishes, socks and underwear, and me. With the pail, I can take water away from streams or lakes and do a bandana-bath to get myself comfortably clean. Be sure to disperse the water away from the natural watercourses. I also carry a little bottle (1/2 oz?) of a regular body wash/shampoo, used only in the showers at the end of my trip, not in the wilderness. Same as Ingo, I brush my teeth with baking soda on the Isle.
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

The most eco friendly is to not use soap at all. “Embrace the stink!”, as they say. Personally I’ve found taking a soapless dip in Lake Superior a couple times a trip does wonders. Then a $5 shower in windigo or rock harbor before departing. Please don’t use any soaps or shampoos in the waterways (EVEN the biodegradable ones).
odd man out
LNT Expert

Post by odd man out »

Agree that washing is not really necessary and the most eco friendly. However good hygiene calls for hand washing after defication. I bring a sliver of Ivory soap for such purposes. As already stated, this should be used away from water. I use Ivory as it is just plain soap. As such it is an all natural biodegradable product with no additives. Contrary to popular belief, it is not necessary to purchase special biodegradable camp soap. All natural soap is biodegradable. What you need to avoid are synthetic detergents.
Bobcat1
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Bobcat1 »

Yup, ivory bar soap is considered ok, but I choose campsuds because it rinses out with no soapy taste on my dishes.
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
MarjiGesick
NewbieCake

Post by MarjiGesick »

9 days is a long time to go "embracing the stink". LOL. Thanks for the feedback.
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator

Post by IncaRoads »

thesneakymonkey wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:15 pm ...I’ve found taking a soapless dip in Lake Superior a couple times a trip does wonders...
^This is what I do. Or a bucket bath away from water sources.

From the 2004 Isle Royale Leave No Trace pamphlet (pg. 18)...

"If bathing, only use soap if necessary and use it sparingly. Get wet, lather up and rinse on land far from water sources (200 feet), with water carried in a collapsible container or pots. It’s important to allow all soap or wastewater, even that from biodegradable soaps, to filter through the soil, where the contaminants can be broken down before reaching any body of water. Clothes can be cleaned by a thorough rinsing with plain water. Wash garments away from water sources."

"In most larger lakes, and streams of ample volume, swimming or just taking a dip without any soap is all right, and hasn’t been seen to harm the water. However, keep in mind that the water you swim in may be someone’s source for drinking. So be respectful, and avoid swimming where you may impact other visitors, disturb wildlife, or impact shorelines or streambeds."

Link ---> http://npshistory.com/brochures/isro/lnt-2004.pdf
backwoods doc
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by backwoods doc »

I pack a small bottle of hand sanitizer (even before COVID!). More effective than soap for hand washing, and no water needed.
2018, 2019, 2021 (all inland lakes by canoe); 2022 X2 (RH and WC); 2023 HC
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

MarjiGesick wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:48 am 9 days is a long time to go "embracing the stink". LOL. Thanks for the feedback.
Everyone else on the island's in the same situation... so you can make it work too! :)

One year, four of us met on the trail during a 5-day trip, and we were also on the same boat heading back to Copper Harbor. We agreed that we would all meet at the Michigan House for a beer and a burger immediately after returning. We were four stinky, scruffy-looking guys without even a change of clothes. It's amazing what peer pressure can do.
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR

I did it for 9 days once. Wasn’t so bad!! Haha. Seriously though, don’t use soap (of any kind!!) in/near the waterways. If you must wash, do it a long ways away from the water. We typically carry a collapsible bucket (sea to summit) and that works well for hauling lots of water back to camp for hand washing, clothes rinsing, or even to wash down the stink a bit. We use hand sani for after using the bathroom and before eating (even before covid). Trust me, it’s not a huge deal. Everyone backpacking on the island is in the same boat.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

I asked Tricia about teeth brushing, toothpaste ect. She is a Dental Hygienist. She said if one were to brush adequitely, water is all that is needed. Most people don't brush adequitely. Baking soda is a good product to use for brushing. Most people, when using toothpaste, use way to much. A little dab is all that is required. This is your 30 sec PSA for good dental practice.
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR

johnhens wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:17 am I asked Tricia about teeth brushing, toothpaste ect. She is a Dental Hygienist. She said if one were to brush adequitely, water is all that is needed. Most people don't brush adequitely. Baking soda is a good product to use for brushing. Most people, when using toothpaste, use way to much. A little dab is all that is required. This is your 30 sec PSA for good dental practice.
Haha. My hygienists name is Tricia too!
pixtory
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by pixtory »

I use the Anti Gravity Gear water bag for bathing. I put water in it and take it away from the water source.You can set it down and though it will flatten out like a pancake, it will still hold your water. Or you can hang it to make it more bucket-like. Then you can use your eco-friendly soap or shampoo of choice away from the water.

https://antigravitygear.com/shop/produc ... water-bag/

On my first visit to Isle Royale I opted not to bring toothpaste, but I missed the minty freshness! But definitely dilute and spread so there isn't toothpaste residue all around the campsite.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/someboldadventure/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVdhjH ... it2ycX6xUg