CPAP Machine

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

chief54
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 30

CPAP Machine

Post by chief54 »

Does anybody have any experience with Cpap Machine at IR. Any recommendations for lightweight option. Or battery options for week long trip.
First visit at age 8 in 1963 numerous times since then,last visit 2021, 30+ times
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: CPAP Machine

Post by Ingo »

Not IR, but my wife has the Philips portable she uses in our camper. She also has a PortableOutlet.com 155w battery which is good for 2 nights w/o humidifier--hasn't tested the humidifier yet. Seems to me there's gotta be something more efficient--this setup goes form 12V DC to 110V AC to 24V DC. But it's what she got.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
backwoods doc
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by backwoods doc »

One question is how wise it would be for someone who needs CPAP to go much further afield than Rock Harbor or Windigo. There are obviously lodging options with electricity at both sites.
2018, 2019, 2021 (all inland lakes by canoe); 2022 X2 (RH and WC); 2023 HC
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

backwoods doc wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:36 am One question is how wise it would be for someone who needs CPAP to go much further afield than Rock Harbor or Windigo. There are obviously lodging options with electricity at both sites.
Not everyone with a cpap has debilitating issues. My mom uses one and is healthy outside of it. Her hiking ability is unaffected. Goal zero makes some excellent portable chargers. They are heavy but they get the job done. Some are rechargeable solar (not super efficient on isle Royale) but an option none the less. If you can reduce your packweight enough to carry a portable battery then you’re good. Highly suggest talking with your CPAP supplies company and see if they have a portable option.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Any experience with a CPAP on IR? Oh!, I had a terrible experience. :(

Back in June 2000, 4 of us made my first power boat trip with a good friend's boat. We mostly base camped out of Daisy Farm. My friend had a portable CPAP but all I remember about the unit is the battery died or broke the very first night. Now I've heard lots of snoring but this had to be the worst ever. (My Mother in Law comes in second :oops: ) Campground occupancy was medium I'd say so the shelter next to us was empty and we made him move shortly after bed time. Still, there was not much relief. Banging screen doors had nothing on this noise, especially in the middle of the night. The next morning there were several "polite" inquires from neighbors if everything was OK. The general camp consensus of everyone that had not moved on was that Shelter #1 was to be reserved for my friend. It's the most remote shelter, located to southwest, close to the Lake.

After the second night we figured out his broken battery was 12V so he lugged his 60 pound boat battery back and forth each day. It's good we were all electrical engineers because we had to attach frayed, bare, 20 gauge wire to car battery terminals. It was a true MacGyver experience. :P
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
kolo
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 11

Post by kolo »

Any experience with a CPAP on IR? Oh!, I had a terrible experience. :(

Back in June 2000, 4 of us made my first power boat trip with a good friend's boat. We mostly base camped out of Daisy Farm. My friend had a portable CPAP but all I remember about the unit is the battery died or broke the very first night. Now I've heard lots of snoring but this had to be the worst ever. (My Mother in Law comes in second :oops: ) Campground occupancy was medium I'd say so the shelter next to us was empty and we made him move shortly after bed time. Still, there was not much relief. Banging screen doors had nothing on this noise, especially in the middle of the night. The next morning there were several "polite" inquires from neighbors if everything was OK. The general camp consensus of everyone that had not moved on was that Shelter #1 was to be reserved for my friend. It's the most remote shelter, located to southwest, close to the Lake.

After the second night we figured out his broken battery was 12V so he lugged his 60 pound boat battery back and forth each day. It's good we were all electrical engineers because we had to attach frayed, bare, 20 gauge wire to car battery terminals. It was a true MacGyver experience. :P
Good story Ed! Thank you for sharing! I have a good friend that would compete with your friend when it comes to loud snoring! :lol:

I felt that I should edit my post. I did not want to sound insensitive to those who use CPAPs. In fact, I give a lot of credit to those who still get out even when faced with such challenges!

I just think that some of the worst experiences, in hindsight, make the best stories.
Last edited by kolo on Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
srparr
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by srparr »

I've made several trips to the island and lugged along my portable CPAP (Transcend Mini Auto-PAP), an AC charger, and 4 multi-night batteries (no humidifier). I have to say it is much easier to carry when we make it a canoe trip, but even backpacking with it hasn't been a show-stopper. Either way, I carry all of it in a dry bag so I don't have to worry about water damage.

For me, each battery usually lasts 1.5 - 2 nights and I arrive with everything charged. Prefer to stay my last night on the island at the Rock Harbor Lodge, so I can plug it in and get a good night's sleep (as well as a shower!)

My unit is small & lightweight, but is no longer available. Transcend has replaced it with a new model but I see no reason to upgrade until my current unit dies.
chief54
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by chief54 »

Thanks everybody, my girlfriend has never been and she wants to see this place that captured my soul as a young boy so long ago.
First visit at age 8 in 1963 numerous times since then,last visit 2021, 30+ times