Itinerary advice

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

jonathansm
NewbieCake

Itinerary advice

Post by jonathansm »

I'll be visiting the island in August for the first time with a friend.We are arriving in Rock Harbor via morning seaplane for five nights departing Windigo by morning seaplane.

Goals for the trip include: seeing as many of the best and most scenic parts of the island as possible, wildlife sightings (especially Moose), and attempting some fishing. We are both experienced backpackers and in good shape, so our only issue with longer mileage days is that they leave less time for other activities or side trips.

I have a few different routes I'm considering. Seems like a big decision point is whether to hike Greenstone or Minong on the west half of the island. The increased difficulty of Minong isn't daunting, and from trail descriptions its sounds like the more scenic option? Greenstone sounds like a tunnel of trees. Maybe there's some magic there I'm missing from the descriptions I've read? The other decision point is whether to hit Mt. Franklin/Mt. Ojibiway on the east side of the island or take the southern route through Daisy Farm.

So the two options that include Minong are:

RH > Lane Cove > McCargoe Cove > Little Todd/Todd Harbor > N Desor > Windigo
RH > Daisy Farm > McCargoe Cove > Little Todd/Todd Harbor > N Desor > Windigo

The two options that stick mostly to Greenstone are:

RH > Lane Cove > Chickenbone W > Hatchet Lake > Desor S > Windigo
RH > Daisy Farm > McCargoe Cove > Hatchet Lake > Desor S > Windigo

Thanks in advance for any advice, thoughts, or additional suggestions.
Hobbes
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: Itinerary advice

Post by Hobbes »

Welcome!

Would highly recommend Lane Cove over Daisy based on your goals. No shelters at Lane, but smaller/quieter and a little more scenic IMO so I think that would help meet your goals you listed. You'll get a chance for shelters at McCargoe, a great spot. You can also check out the Minong Mine when you're leaving McCargoe, which is pretty neat.

Definitely stay on for Franklin/Ojibway on a clear day - some of the best views of the island IMO on a nice day. And this works well with a Lane Cove stop, I think. So you might be on it either way.

Unfortunately I can't speak to the Greenstone vs. Minong, as I'm about to hit the west Minong for the first time this fall. Greenstone is kind of a tree tunnel on the west end. In terms of remote/scenic, my impression is west Minong will edge out west Greenstone, but again, haven't done it yet.

Enjoy! Please share a TR if you can. (:
2018 | 2019 | 2020
Bobcat1
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Bobcat1 »

One possible way to try for the most scenery would be to 1. Get up on the Greenstone as soon as possible (RH-3Mile-Mt. Franklin-Chickenbone Lake-Hatchet Lake), then 2. cross over to the Minong and do the western end of the Minong. Select your campsites along the route based on your personal mileage to get the trip into your length of time. The eastern end of the Greenstone has the amazing views, and then the western end of the Minong has the overlooks. I particularly like the section from Chickenbone Junction to Hatchet Lake. Bear in mind the western Minong has been closed for over a year, and expect it to be rougher even than normal. I think I hear the beavers have done a number on some of the trail.
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
jonathansm
NewbieCake

Post by jonathansm »

Thanks Hobbes. I guess I'll watch out for some trip reports from folks hiking the Minong and see how conditions look.

Bobcat1 it seems like the route you're describing would end up being RH > Daisy Farm > Chickenbone W > Hatchet Lake > Desor N > Windigo. Will take a look at that one too.
TopCarrot
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by TopCarrot »

Lane-moskey-hatchet-n desor-windigo
Would cover most everything and get some awesome trails and sites. IMO Moskey is best and the back half of minong and the Franklin to obijway sections of trails.
22 CH-ML-ML-LRC-DF-CA-RH
21 3M-MB-McC-TH-ND-WC
21 LC-DF-McC-CH-MB-RH
20 HC-FL-SB-SD-MB-MB-RH
19 TH-ND-WC-SD-ML Via Voyager McC
18 DF-CH-DF
18 LC-DF-LR-RH
17 CW-SD-WC greenstone in 50hrs
jonathansm
NewbieCake

Post by jonathansm »

Trip report is here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4598
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by JerryB »

i don’t know the current situation, but Lane Cove was closed last week because of the wild fire. Just be prepared to be flexible.