Campfires

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

chief54
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Campfires

Post by chief54 »

just watched a video on youtube posted on June 19 of a group of folks with campfire going strong at Lake Richie. Correct me if I am wrong campfires are not allowed at Richie. It never ceases to amaze me the folks that do not know or do not care about the regulations. Who films themselves breaking the law??? Even after almost 60 years and many many trips, I still plan and read up on the regs to see if any have changed etc. A lot goes into a trip and you would think folks would be cognizant of what regs are. The last thing I want to see at Richie or any other CG where fires are not allowed is a campfire ring with ashes and god forbid the detritus that invariably gets thrown into a fire.
First visit at age 8 in 1963 numerous times since then,last visit 2021, 30+ times
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Campfires

Post by Ingo »

Here's a story from a few years ago about a fire, coincidentally at Richie: viewtopic.php?p=14675
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
chief54
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by chief54 »

Tom great save I am glad you guys showed up.Can I share this story on the IR Facebook site? There is a discussion going on about my post?
First visit at age 8 in 1963 numerous times since then,last visit 2021, 30+ times
seymourdunn
NewbieCake

Post by seymourdunn »

On my trip a few weeks ago, I noticed signs of small campfires at Three Mile shelter 1 (up on the hill), possibly Three Mile site 7, and again at another shelter at Moskey. Daisy seems busy enough that you'd get caught, but I still didn't expect to find signs of so many people breaking the rules.
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

For what it's worth, it struck me that the orientation we got upon arriving at Rock Harbor was pretty short on LNT principles and their rationale. It seemed to focus instead on bracing visitors for the absence of WiFi, cell phone signals, and Starbucks. "Campfires only in designated areas" was definitely said, but I wonder if the message would come through clearer if the orientation's central theme was how and why to preserve and protect a precious place, and not the inconveniences associated with being there ....
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

torpified wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:19 am For what it's worth, it struck me that the orientation we got upon arriving at Rock Harbor was pretty short on LNT principles and their rationale.
Yup, much less so than in the past it seemed.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
seymourdunn
NewbieCake

Post by seymourdunn »

torpified wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:19 am For what it's worth, it struck me that the orientation we got upon arriving at Rock Harbor was pretty short on LNT principles and their rationale. It seemed to focus instead on bracing visitors for the absence of WiFi, cell phone signals, and Starbucks. "Campfires only in designated areas" was definitely said, but I wonder if the message would come through clearer if the orientation's central theme was how and why to preserve and protect a precious place, and not the inconveniences associated with being there ....
While I appreciate the Rangers' enthusiasm, I'm not one for call-and-response orientations. You're absolutely right. It was a little too chipper and very light on LNT. I got back to Rock Harbor several hours before my Queen departure and was laying on the dock in the sun listening to a new group's orientation, which confirmed what I suspected from my own a few days prior: it's a script. A script which really ought to be revised. Anyone arriving to the island has already noticed the lack of cell service, and don't need to hear it several times. "How wild is it!?" Well, not very, if y'all don't emphasize the campfire regulations! Also, none of the Rangers gave any explanations for the campfire regulations. Perhaps if they looped that into the orientation, they'd see better compliance.
backwoods doc
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by backwoods doc »

I just called the park office, directed them to this thread, received a message of gratitude and a promise that these concerns would be passed on to park law enforcement and the rangers doing the orientation talks.
2018, 2019, 2021 (all inland lakes by canoe); 2022 X2 (RH and WC); 2023 HC