rerouting of Feldtmann Loop trail N of Siskiwit Bay

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

rerouting of Feldtmann Loop trail N of Siskiwit Bay

Post by torpified »

In a recent trip report, I described my attempt to follow the recommended route (which mostly isn't the official trail) between Siskiwit Bay and the point where the Feldtmann Loop turns inland from Siskiwit Bay and starts the climb toward Island Mine. The sneakymonkey asked
thesneakymonkey wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:34 pm
can you tell me a bit more about the bushwhack/beachwhacking?? Are we talking serious struggle or like a jaunt? I know it not an *actual* trail and having bushwhacked on the island before (accidently off trail on the beaver dam on the minong) I would like to avoid trudging through another butt deep mud pit :shock: not that it wasn't fun the first time haha :wink: . We will be hitting the Feldtmann soon !!!! Cant wait :D
She shouldn't have asked me, because I'm pretty sure I botched it. I'm starting a new thread in the hope of testimony better than what I have to offer, which is . . . .

The plot, starting from the dock at Siskiwit Bay:

walk along the beach--- it's very beautiful and pleasant --- until you need to cut inland to access the official trail's bridge across the Siskiwit River.

After crossing the river, cut back to the beach and follow it until it gets too rocky to walk easily, around where the shore turns east to make the south side of Senter Point.

Here you can pick up what I suppose is the original trail, a few steps inland. However, the recommendation (at least the one I got from Ranger Seth at Windigo early in June) is *not* to try to follow this trail all the way across the point, but to instead, at a judiciously chosen moment and in an apt direction, to leave it to bushwhack across the point to reach the beach on point's north side. (This is few hundred yards, at most, unless you meander A LOT.)

Once you reach the beach, it's easy beachwalking---most of the way on the route of the official trail--- to a signpost where the main shoreline of Siskitwit Bay turns east, and the trail heads north and inland.

Getting to and from the bridge over the river was easy: there are clear use trails both ways, and an obvious sign that you've overshot them---you reach the river! Crossing Senter Point was trickier for me. I managed to make it into the sort of trudge you wish to avoid, but I think I understand what I did wrong---I tried bushwhacking to the west of the original trail; I think I was supposed to bushwhack to its east. What I don't know is what conditions are like if that's what you do, or whether there's a clear place to leave the trail/recommended heading to follow when you do.

Here's an incredibly informative map. The purple is what I'm guessing you're supposed to do. The blue is what I'm guessing I did.
semiconjectural detour.jpeg
Also, you'll love the Feldtmann loop, and please post a trip report!
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: rerouting of Feldtmann Loop trail N of Siskiwit Bay

Post by thesneakymonkey »

Wow! I feel special! Thanks for writing all that up to answer my question. The map helps me visualize this much better. I literally CAN NOT wait to be back on the island. I’ll be sure to report back my experiences!!!
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR

anyone else that has done this loop recently, please feel free to comment on your experience!!!
blink
NewbieCake

Post by blink »

I just returned today from the island. There were explicit instructions on this leg of the trail heading out of Siskwit towards Island Mine to follow the beach as torpified mentioned (purple line on map) . We hiked from SLD past Island Mine and into Sisikwit and there were no directions posted coming from that direction.
blink
NewbieCake

Post by blink »

Also, the first three miles or so leaving Siskiwit towards Feldtmann is waist to chest deep weeds. Leave that camp with your rain gear on and your bug spray refreshed. :)
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR

blink wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:22 pm Also, the first three miles or so leaving Siskiwit towards Feldtmann is waist to chest deep weeds. Leave that camp with your rain gear on and your bug spray refreshed. :)
Haha! Been there done that on the minong. Pretty sure I had some shoulder high that summer haha!! Love it. Thanks for the report.