Sandals on Greenstone Ridge

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

Walkingisfun
NewbieCake

Sandals on Greenstone Ridge

Post by Walkingisfun »

Hello,

I am visiting the island solo in a couple weeks (7/27 - 8/1) and have a couple questions, one regarding trail terrain and sandals, the other question regarding the first couple days of my itinerary.

What thoughts do you have about hiking the island in sandals? I almost always wear sandals, have done many good distance hikes (10-15mi) always in sandals (sometimes barefoot), and do a good amount of rock climbing. When climbing, I make the approach (often very steep and rocky) in sandals.. if there is no snow on the ground I am usually in sandals. However, even though I have done lots of camping, climbing, and hiking, this will be my first multi-day backpacking trip. Would foregoing boots be very unadvisable? I don't see any significant incline on the route I have planned, though it is hard to know what the terrain actually looks like without being there.

My plan is to take the Queen into RH on 7/27, stay the night in RH, and then take the Voyageur over to Windigo the next morning. From Windigo, I would hike ~11mi to S Lake Desor. If I am looking at the schedule right, it looks like the Voyageur will arrive in Windigo around 12-1pm. How is the trail from Windigo to Desor? Do you think my plan to hike this starting at 1pm is overly ambitious? My next stops would be Hatchet Lake, W Chicken Bone, Daisy Farm, RH, and then depart via Queen on 8/1.

Looking forward to visiting this island you all love so much. Thank you for any guidance!
alicecw
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: Sandals on Greenstone Ridge

Post by alicecw »

I recently returned from my first trip to IR and my route included the section of the Greenstone between Chickenbone East and Mt. Franklin. Aside from getting onto and off of the Greenstone, there weren't steep inclines but I would be more concerned about the unevenness of the trail.

The trail may look fairly flat and smooth, but you end up doing a lot of small ups and downs. I wear a FitBit watch that tracks the number of stairs I climb in a day. It only counts going up stairs (not down) and a completed flight is added when the watch senses a 10 foot elevation gain. On the day I spent on the Greenstone (McCargoe Cove to Lane Cove), my FitBit tracked 214 flights of stairs.

The trails are not as well-groomed as at my local state parks. There are tree roots, mud, and general unevenness of the stone. I got swept away by the view up on the Greenstone, caught the toe of my boot on an uneven piece of rock, and scraped my knee so hard so my pants ripped. I'm very glad I was wearing boots so that I didn't also end up with a broken toe. I would (and did) bring sandals along to hang out in at camp.

The below photo is of the Rock Harbor Trail between 3M and RH. At first glance, it looks fairly flat and smooth. However, on closer inspection you'll see that there is a lot of variation in the stone which leave a lot of places to stub a toe:

I would urge you to do some practice hikes with your full pack and whatever shoes you are planning to hike in. Everything feels different with a full pack on and it's easier to change out gear now than when you get to IR. Good luck!
treeplanter
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Post by treeplanter »

Walkingisfun wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:41 am......What thoughts do you have about hiking the island in sandals? ......
I wouldn't. I wear a stout pair of water shoes when I'm in my kayak. Years back, we stopped at the Rock Harbor Lighthouse to do some exploring. While walking down some trail, I stubbed my little toe on a rock and broke it. Hurt like hell the rest of the trip. That was perhaps the one trip to IR I didn't enjoy.
HoosierHiker1202
NewbieCake

Post by HoosierHiker1202 »

I feel like I could have written this same thread a month ago. I recently completed the exact same route as you. It was my first trip to the island. I wear my Birkenstock’s anytime there isn’t snow on the ground and was wondering the same thing as you. I elected to wear some Columbia Trail shoes and I’m glad I did. While the terrain is very uneven, I think it’s doable if you wear sandals constantly. The issue I see with it is how muddy many of the trails get. Your feet will likely get submerged in mud on multiple occasions, possibly ankle dee or more.

My conclusion - bring your sandals, but save them for camp.
First trip- June 2021 - Windigo to Rock Harbor
June 2022 - Moosewatch for Educators
backwoods doc
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by backwoods doc »

We wear sport sandals while canoeing the inland lakes -- the kind with the rubber toe covering. They work great for getting in and out of a Kevlar canoe without beaching it (or getting boots wet), but also provide enough toe protection for the portage trails.
2018, 2019, 2021 (all inland lakes by canoe); 2022 X2 (RH and WC); 2023 HC
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

I have hiked in Chaco's, not any great distance and w/o a pack. If wearing a backpack, I would wear boots.
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

feet are so particular that I suspect that the only true footwear generalization is: if it works for you, it works for you.

The one thing I'll chip in (and it's really an amplification of some of what's already been said) is that there are options intermediate between sandals and boots---for instance, light weight trail running shoes. You could even bring a pair as designated camp shoes for a sandal-borne hike, then swap roles if, upon further review, sandals aren't the way for you to go on IR!
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

I like my toenails, plus I don't like pebbles and debris in my footwear. I couldn't imagine wearing sandals, even my closed toe Keens for those reasons.

With that said, I agree with torp; "If it works for you, it works for you". There are plenty of things I do that get odd looks from others.
treeplanter
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Post by treeplanter »

As I stated a few posts up, no way would I wear sandals while hiking on IR, but about 30 years ago, some gal hiked the Greenstone in her bare feet. Absolutely true story too. I forget the details, but apparently her boots were brand new and not broken in and were making major blisters, so she took them off and walked barefoot. I guess it's doable, if you're used to walking barefoot.
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by JerryB »

Certainly, this is your decision and you should know best what works for you. The only caution i offer is that you will, at times, be miles from help and have some very long and painful days should the sandals not work out.
Walkingisfun
NewbieCake

Post by Walkingisfun »

Thank you all for the advice! I plan to follow the consensus and play it safe and bring both my boots/sandals. Is there any advice regarding my second question? I plan to get off the Voyageur on the west end of the island around 12-1pm and then hike to Desor (~11mi). How is the terrain on this stretch? Is this too ambitious of a plan? Although my preference is to go slow and take in the surrounding, without a pack I can casually hike about 2.5mph if needed and not be very tired afterward. On this stretch I am planning for a 1.5mph pace with the pack, putting me there around 8-9pm. My plan B is stopping at the camp near Greenstone/Island Mine junction (~6mi from Windigo).
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

The Greenstone to S. Desor is smooth, well packed and slightly uphill. 9 pm eastern will be close to dark dark at that time of the year, maybe 30 min of decent light left? You'll know when you hit Island Mine if you'll make it to S. Desor before dark. Personally, I think it's very doable if you're out of Windigo by 1 and truly average 1.5 mph.
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator

Post by IncaRoads »

Walkingisfun wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:43 am ...I plan to get off the Voyageur on the west end of the island around 12-1pm and then hike to Desor (~11mi). How is the terrain on this stretch? Is this too ambitious of a plan? Although my preference is to go slow and take in the surrounding(s)...
That stretch of the Greenstone Trail from Windigo to South Lake Desor is pretty much a walk in a dense hardwood forest; not many long range views/vistas. Some people call that stretch a "tunnel of trees".
BarefootAndy
NewbieCake

Post by BarefootAndy »

Anything is possible. In the book series, "Adventures of the Barefoot Sisters", they yo-yo'd the entire AT trail almost exclusively barefoot. I was thinking of sandals too for late Aug. I've run 50K races just fine in huaraches and many other distances barefoot. But a recent long run in the rain on very gnarly trails changed my mind just a bit. With very soft feet, straps can start to wear into the skin. So I'll be wearing trail runners until I can assess the situation. If it stays dry, I'll switch to sandals. Barefoot and sandal people are much more careful about where we place our feet. I've never stubbed a toe or stabbed myself with a trekking pole. :D
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

BarefootAndy wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:25 pm I've never stubbed a toe or stabbed myself with a trekking pole. :D
Well we know what's going to happen now :shock: !
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH