TR 7/23/21-7/30/21 [backpack] RH-V2-SD-HL-WC-MB-3M

Reports or links to reports on trips.

Moderator: Tom

hammb
NewbieCake

TR 7/23/21-7/30/21 [backpack] RH-V2-SD-HL-WC-MB-3M

Post by hammb »

After months of planning we finally made our way to the island last week. Man reintegrating into the real world kinda sucks...

This TR is a copy and paste of the notes I took on the island. Also worth keeping in mind that this trip was the first real backpacking trip any of the 3 of us have done. My 2 buddies (Jim and Steve) and I all had a blast and can't wait to plan our next backpacking adventure, and follow-up trips to the island. Each of us have sons (ranging from 5-7), I think we all agree we'd like to take them to the island someday.

7/24 -- took the queen to rock harbor. Trip was mostly uneventful but caught a superior squall for a short period of very rough waters. Got a site at Rock harbor campground, ate lunch, then hiked scoville point loop trail. Somewhere between the boat dock and our campsite Jim's hipbelt strap broke. Luckily I had a spare strap that we were able to loop through the buckle of his hip belt and it held the entire trip.

7/25 -- Got on voyageur II at 8:15. Nearby campers said we apparently missed a moose in the early morning right through our campsite. Voyageur ride was long as hell. Finally got to Windigo about 1:45 and onto the trail by 2:15. Advice from other passenger (Cleveland guy) was to skip island Mine and hoof it to S. Desor so that was the plan. 11 miles that felt like 20. Carrying a pack is hard work. We got into camp about 8:30 and it was a Sprint to filter water, setup tents, force ourselves to eat and get to bed. Mosquitos were horrible and didn't finish dinner and into bed until after 10:30. Lake desor was gorgeous, shame we didn't have time to enjoy the views and serenity.

7/26 -- relaxing morning we didn't plan to push out until around 10 and that's about when we headed out. Hiking was a much more normal pace today since we didn't start so late. Had a great lunch spot at the fire tower on ishpeming point. Second half of the hike went way downhill that was rough on all of us. GPS measured today's home about a mile further than the maps and signage indicated. Trail down to hatchet lake campground was a steep downhill plod. Lake isn't as nice as desor but got here by 4. Had time to swim and rinse out the hiking clothes. Relaxing afternoon at camp with dinner finished by being tipped off of a nearby moose. Got to the spot and had good views of him eating some vegetation. Got some pics but don't do it justice. First moose!! Saw and heard some loons in the water and in bed by 9, started to rain as we turned in. Good day!

7/27 -- backpacking rules! Today was a great day. Woke up to wet tents but everything underneath was mostly dry. Ate breakfast and hit the trail a bit before our intended 8:00 start time. Steve and our camping neighbors heard a late night nearby moose. Headed up the awful climb out of hatchet lake campground and back on the greenstone. Several good climbs up some high elevations led to beautiful views of lake siskwit and lake superior. Spooked a moose mid morning. I was leading and called out some rocks to Steve and Jim then immediately heard branches crunching and the thuds of the hooves. None of us saw it though. After the rain all of the vegetation was wet and we were the only ones from hatchet going to Chickenbone. Resulted in being soaked waist down, but got to camp about 1:30 and nabbed a prime lake front site. Got to swim out into the lake, did a little fishing with no luck, saw a family of swans, enjoyed a great sunset. Only downside of Chickenbone was Jim and I having to pull leaches off of ourselves, his was left bleeding. Great day and back to bed early.

7/28 -- took a low key easy day today. Got up early and hit the trail by 8:15 for the quick and easy 6 mile jaunt to Moskey Basin. Saw a few others on the trail and heard tale of a cow and calf moose but we didn't see or hear any signs of them. Got to Moskey about 11:15 and had our pick of shelters. Was very nice to spend the day relaxing and hanging out. Did a little fishing off the dock with no luck, but we did see a family of otters playing in and around the dock. We have a family of ducks just outside our shelter as well. Played several games of rummy, was fun to just hang out playing cards and listening to weird Al music.

7/29 -- we now feel like experienced backpackers. Last full day on the island we all slept pretty well through thunderstorms and heavy rains last night and wanted to make sure we had a shelter again tonight. Hiked out of Moskey at around 8:30 and made great time all the way to 3 Mile. Not a lot of wildlife on the trail today but some great lake superior views and many miles of easy hiking. Got a cabin with a little Beach area and just hung out on the beach all afternoon. Swimming in lake superior is cold! Ate our last trail dinner and looking forward to the 3 miles back to Rock harbor tomorrow, showers and food/beer await!

7/30 -- Cold! First truly cold morning on the island. Had us in our sleeping bags until about 8. Packed up for the last time and hit the trail. Decided to take the Tobin harbor trail for an easier final hike and made great time. Immediately got shower tokens and felt so much better. Ate lunch at the grill and had a couple beers. Got gifts at the gift shop and got on board the boat back home.
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Re: TR 7/23/21-7/30/21 [backpack] RH-V2-SD-HL-WC-MB-3M

Post by dcclark »

Very nice trip report -- thanks for posting it! Welcome to the world of backpacking (and Isle Royale) -- you'll be back...

What's your favorite / the best Weird Al-bum for backpacking?
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

Thanks for the report! It sounds like, with the possible exception of leeches, the trip just kept getting better as you went!
hammb
NewbieCake

Post by hammb »

Hey the leeches were just part of the fun! We definitely enjoyed the trip more and more as it went on. Sitting on the beach at 3 Mile was incredible. Warm and sunny enough to swim in superior was a nice plus too!

As for weird Al my buddy had a bunch on his phone so we just played it at random. Personally I'm a fan of Off the deep end and Bad hair day.