Horne Fire

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

TopCarrot
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: Horne Fire

Post by TopCarrot »

Update
Attachments
D404CD56-F6EC-40D8-A49F-01CF771E6237.jpeg
22 CH-ML-ML-LRC-DF-CA-RH
21 3M-MB-McC-TH-ND-WC
21 LC-DF-McC-CH-MB-RH
20 HC-FL-SB-SD-MB-MB-RH
19 TH-ND-WC-SD-ML Via Voyager McC
18 DF-CH-DF
18 LC-DF-LR-RH
17 CW-SD-WC greenstone in 50hrs
treeplanter
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Post by treeplanter »

Great map! Thanks for sharing.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

8/23 MODIS Imagery Image
DASchafer
NewbieCake

Post by DASchafer »

Wife, 7 year old son, and I were canoeing in that area last week. We were told about it. When we passed by it on Sat, 14th it was maybe half an acre. I was surprised it was only 50-60 ft from the Duncan-Tobin portage. Came back into Duncan Bay from Five Fingers on the 16th and it was much larger. Spoke to a Ranger in a boat at the Duncan-Tobin portage and we both estimated it to be 20-30 Acres. Had planned to stay in Duncan Narrows, but it was down wind and we felt we would be breathing smoke all night, so went to Duncan Bay and could see the fire all night. Did the Duncan-Tobin portage next day and there was a crew of 3 actively fighting from the trail as we went by. They had generators, pumps, sprinklers setup and nozzles spraying. I spoke with the fire crew for a while and they were positive it was a lightning strike on Tues. the 10th. We hiked to Lookout Louise that day, it is sad to think that is probably all gone now.
Carpe Diem
NewbieCake

Post by Carpe Diem »

Anyone know where Top Carrot got the Horne Fire map? All I find at the NPS site is latest info on size and campground and trail closures.
We are scheduled on Voyageur II this Saturday to go to McCargoe Cove and sea kayak around Amygdaloids for several days and then hop back on Voyageur II to come around to Rock Harbor. However, now Lane Cove and Duncan all closed, so trying to figure out if we should cancel or re-plan the trip to a route exploring the Southern side by Rock Harbor.
It's our first trip to IR so any advice on how best plan around this unfortunate event is appreciated.
Thanks!
treeplanter
May actually live on IR

Post by treeplanter »

Carpe Diem wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:09 pm....Anyone know where Top Carrot got the Horne Fire map? .....
I found it by entering "Horne Fire" in the search section on the Isle Royale website. The map came up, as well as other pertinent information.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

treeplanter wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:13 pm
Carpe Diem wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:09 pm....Anyone know where Top Carrot got the Horne Fire map? .....
I found it by entering "Horne Fire" in the search section on the Isle Royale website. The map came up, as well as other pertinent information.
Direct link: https://www.nps.gov/isro/wildfires-at-isle-royale.htm
Navigation: IR Home Page -> Horne Fire, click "more >" -> click "Horne Fire" under Fires
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Bobcat1
Bushwacker

Post by Bobcat1 »

Yes, there are several interesting articles about fire and nps in general, ccc and fire in 1936, the three fire towers on IsRo, and so on. Park historians and interpreters no doubt had this stuff prepped to share when a fire created interest. Good job by the interp staff! Find the stuff by clicking through links, particularly the “on this page” twister.
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
TopCarrot
Trailblazer

Post by TopCarrot »

Carpe Diem wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:09 pm Anyone know where Top Carrot got the Horne Fire map?
Sorry. Here you go

https://www.nps.gov/isro/wildfires-at-isle-royale.htm
22 CH-ML-ML-LRC-DF-CA-RH
21 3M-MB-McC-TH-ND-WC
21 LC-DF-McC-CH-MB-RH
20 HC-FL-SB-SD-MB-MB-RH
19 TH-ND-WC-SD-ML Via Voyager McC
18 DF-CH-DF
18 LC-DF-LR-RH
17 CW-SD-WC greenstone in 50hrs
Bobcat1
Bushwacker

Post by Bobcat1 »

I cannot help thinking ahead to the views this will open up from the eastern end of the Greenstone! And I would volunteer for trail work crew to clean up the affected trails next spring. Hoping for safety of the fire crews keeping tabs on this.
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
treeplanter
May actually live on IR

Post by treeplanter »

Bobcat1 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:22 pmI cannot help thinking ahead to the views this will open up from the eastern end of the Greenstone! And I would volunteer for trail work crew to clean up the affected trails next spring. Hoping for safety of the fire crews keeping tabs on this.
I had the same thought. Should be some fine views looking southward toward Tobin Harbor. And I wonder if Lookout Louise has been "opened up?" We're definitely planning a trip for next summer, largely to look at the after-effects of the fire.
TreeHugger
NewbieCake

Post by TreeHugger »

I notice the park posted an update recently. The fire is 15 percent contained. They snuck the word suspected into this sentence now... "the cause of ignition is suspected to be lightning."

https://www.nps.gov/isro/learn/news/hor ... ctions.htm
TreeHugger
NewbieCake

Post by TreeHugger »

Carpe Diem wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:09 pm We are scheduled on Voyageur II this Saturday to go to McCargoe Cove and sea kayak around Amygdaloids for several days and then hop back on Voyageur II to come around to Rock Harbor. However, now Lane Cove and Duncan all closed, so trying to figure out if we should cancel or re-plan the trip to a route exploring the Southern side by Rock Harbor.
It's our first trip to IR so any advice on how best plan around this unfortunate event is appreciated.
Thanks!
This is a hard question because nobody can say what conditions will be at that time. There is at least a decent chance of rain over the weekend. But here's my two cents:

Even with Duncan and Lane Cove closed, you could still potentially use McCargoe, Pickerel, Birch Island, Belle Isle (depending on water conditions of course). Might be a little smoky though.

Keep in mind that the South Shore campgrounds that are accessible to backpackers (3 mile, Daisy Farm, Moskey, etc.) could be pretty crammed with people who can't stay at Lane Cove, and are usually pretty crowded in general this time of year.

Plan C... let's say you get there Saturday and for some reason the fire has expanded even more... The Voyageur could always leave you and pick you up in Windigo for your adventure instead, although the kayaking is a different ballgame with less options on that end of the island.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

TreeHugger wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:13 pm
Carpe Diem wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:09 pm We are scheduled on Voyageur II this Saturday to go to McCargoe Cove and sea kayak around Amygdaloids for several days and then hop back on Voyageur II to come around to Rock Harbor. However, now Lane Cove and Duncan all closed, so trying to figure out if we should cancel or re-plan the trip to a route exploring the Southern side by Rock Harbor.
Thanks!
Even with Duncan and Lane Cove closed, you could still potentially use McCargoe, Pickerel, Birch Island, Belle Isle (depending on water conditions of course). Might be a little smoky though.

Keep in mind that the South Shore campgrounds that are accessible to backpackers (3 mile, Daisy Farm, Moskey, etc.) could be pretty crammed with people who can't stay at Lane Cove, and are usually pretty crowded in general this time of year.
I concur and would stick to your plan. Plenty of places to explore on the north side without camping at Lane or the Duncan(s). In fact I'm thinking next year I may just base camp out of Belle Isle.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
TreeHugger
NewbieCake

Post by TreeHugger »

Ingo wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:35 pm In fact I'm thinking next year I may just base camp out of Belle Isle.
I'm thinking this is a great idea.