Seeking water transport August 17 or 18

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

jeckhardt
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Seeking water transport August 17 or 18

Post by jeckhardt »

Greetings,

We are seeking one-way water transportation departing Rock Harbor August 17 at 5PM or August 18 as early as possible, to the following destinations, assuming water conditions safe for travel, in ranked order preference. We would be happy with any of these options.

1. Moskey Basin
2. Hidden Lake Dock
3. Daisy Farm dock
4. Three-mile dock

Our party is comprised of four adults.

We have not been able to reserve a water taxi for these trips. However, we are happy to share a taxi and pay the full cost of the shared taxi to help offset the fact that we are likely imposing on another party. We are also wondering if there are other options outside of the taxi service.

We are planning our trip a bit late in the game as our international trip was canceled due to the delta variant. We feel lucky to have secured transportation to the Island and are exploring options.

Thank you for reading and for your thoughts.

Jon
Bobcat1
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: Seeking water transport August 17 or 18

Post by Bobcat1 »

Three-Mile dock is just over an hour of walking, and Daisy Fsrm is about double that. The Hidden Lake dock can be accessed on the M V Sandy a couple Days a week in a normal year; check the latest park newsletter to see how this years schedule is set up.
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Post by Base654 »

Normal years have rental motor boats available. They can't be keep overnight, but I have always wondered if I could find someone willing to drop me and return the boat. One could also drop all of the gear and most of the group, return the boat and walk back if one of your group is not up tho the entire trip.
jeckhardt
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by jeckhardt »

Thank you for the advice. MV Sandy does not seem to be operating this year (https://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/ ... -tours.htm). Thank you for the boat rental idea....I'll look into it.