800 MHz radios

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

TopCarrot
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 8

800 MHz radios

Post by TopCarrot »

Do the rangers use the MPSCS radio towers?
22 CH-ML-ML-LRC-DF-CA-RH
21 3M-MB-McC-TH-ND-WC
21 LC-DF-McC-CH-MB-RH
20 HC-FL-SB-SD-MB-MB-RH
19 TH-ND-WC-SD-ML Via Voyager McC
18 DF-CH-DF
18 LC-DF-LR-RH
17 CW-SD-WC greenstone in 50hrs
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: 800 MHz radios

Post by Midwest Ed »

I would seriously doubt it. They have access to systems designed and maintained through federal agencies in addition to the open marine bands in use.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Post by Base654 »

They use a trunked digital system in the 160-170MHz range. One can purchase a radio, but they can be expensive for a good one and then have to be programmed with their codes. It can be done though. I was just looking online and the cheap ones are in the $100 range.

https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.p ... _Park_(MI)
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

Base654 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:33 pm They use a trunked digital system in the 160-170MHz range. One can purchase a radio, but they can be expensive for a good one and then have to be programmed with their codes. It can be done though. I was just looking online and the cheap ones are in the $100 range.

https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.p ... _Park_(MI)
You could go cheap and get a Baofeng for $50ish and listen in to all of those. My little UV-5RA and a couple of ziploc freezer bags acted as my weather radio setup for a couple of years and it's still my weather radio in my vehicle when we car camp. They are a bear to manually program, unless they've gotten better in the last 6 or 7 years. I would just write down all the freqs that I needed and laminate with some clear packing tape and throw that in between the double bags. It was easier to just manually select the freq with the cheat sheet.
arichno
NewbieCake

Post by arichno »

The park's primary radio system is VHF high band in the 160-174 range, and uses P25 digital modulation, but is conventionally repeated, not trunked. The park utilizes the radio system extensively for both routine and emergency communications. Baofengs and similar radios will not receive or transmit on the park's primary systems as they are not capable of P25 digital modulation.

The park does have some 800 Mhz MPSCS radios to facilitate emergency communications/coordination with state and local agencies, but they are very rarely used. More of a contingency than regular use.

The park also utilizes VHF Marine frequencies for communications with Coast Guard and private/commercial boaters. Visitor Centers, Ranger Stations, and park boats can often be heard operating on marine frequencies.