Half Day Paddle Near Windigo

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

alicecw
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Half Day Paddle Near Windigo

Post by alicecw »

I'm beginning to think about a return trip to Isle Royale next summer and am intrigued by the idea of renting a canoe or kayak for a half day paddle around Windigo at the end of the trip. My initial thought was to paddle around Washington Harbor and stop off at Beaver Island to look around, but then I discovered a page on the NPS website about paddling Washington Creek. My concern about going to Beaver Island is timing the crossing so we aren't dealing with waves caused by the ferries, but I'm also not thrilled about the idea of coming face to face with a moose in Washington Creek while I'm in a canoe. Is there anything to see on Beaver Island except for the campground? Any idea how far you can paddle Washington Creek before it gets too shallow to continue? I would love to hear about your experiences paddling near Windigo!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Half Day Paddle Near Windigo

Post by Ingo »

I feel your nervousness about moose up the creek! For all the paddling I've done on the island, I have yet to do the Windigo end, but judging from land, you should be able to go a ways up the creek, any moose issues aside :shock: . I remember a BWCA trip as a kid when we had to wait about an hour for a moose that was blocking a creek. As far as boat wakes, #1 is simply to not panic and to roll with them, #2 is meet them head on, or mostly, if you can. The ferries will most likely slow down to no-wake speed when they pass (so long as they see you). I think a paddle out to Beaver Island would be great, just for the paddle, even if there's "just a campground" to see.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

You didn't mention how experienced are you at paddling? Or if you' traveling alone? If alone, a kayak will be much easier to control than a single person in a canoe. Waves from ferries or boats should not be a concern although if you somehow get very near an oncoming wake simply turn into the wake so it does NOT (edit to add missing "NOT") come at you broadside. Most boats will either slow down or steer clear if they see you are too close. Weather (i.e. wind and wave created by wind) will be a greater concern for paddling around Washington Harbor. The Harbor is quite well protected but still large enough that strong and prevailing winds might be an issue. If the weather is too much, the concession people will not even allow rentals. Washington Creek would be a great exploration opportunity. The creek's water depth will depend on seasonal or recent rainfall or an infrequent seiche . I would not be worried about getting attacked by a moose, just keep your distance. I do not know what sort of trail system there is on Beaver Island but due to rental restrictions of no overnights camping there would not be an option even if you did a full day rental instead of a half day.

(edit to add missing "NOT")
Last edited by Midwest Ed on Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
alicecw
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by alicecw »

Thanks, Ed! The current plan is for a friend to join me, but that may change when it comes time to actually buy ferry tickets. I'm more comfortable in a canoe since the majority of my paddling experience has been in a canoe (always on calm rivers and lakes), but I'm definitely not experienced enough to solo paddle one! This past summer, I started occasionally renting a kayak to work on my solo paddling skills and I plan to increase the frequency of that in the spring.

It sounds like the weather will be the deciding factor on where (and whether!) I can paddle near Windigo. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew, but it's reassuring to know that the other boats in the harbor will be keeping their wake to a minimum.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Washington Harbor and creek make for a nice paddle. We paddled up Washington creek in our kayaks (17' and 16') till the creek narrowed to where we had to back paddle to get out. We did not see any moose, though we did have moose in the creek later in the day. We had a nice paddle down Washington harbor to the mouth. The lake was kicking up so that was as far as we went. We stopped at Beaver Island, nice site, not much in the way of hiking there as the trees are dense. The harbor is pretty protected unless you get SW winds coming down the middle. Then it can get choppy.