Early season ice on inland lakes?

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

swmoore
NewbieCake

Early season ice on inland lakes?

Post by swmoore »

I'm looking at a 7 day canoe trip from McCargoe to Chippewa Harbor the week before Memorial Day and was wondering if anyone had experience at that time of year and knew how much if any ice is typically left on the inland lakes. I can be prepared for going into cold water (although I'm fairly confident in my ability to avoid doing so) but I don't want to have to try and break through ice to get to campsites. I understand every year is different but I don't want to try and book the Voyager in early May when it would be more clear what the situation is. Alternately I could go in mid-September when I'm thinking of an end to end hike to cross off the few remaining trails in my list but then it's algae bloom season and I'd be banking on the Minong being open before Memorial Day. Thanks for any of the groups' collective wisdom!

Solo trip, been to Sylvania twice in this 16' lake canoe last fall. Would be first time paddling at IR but not first time solo backpacking IR.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Early season ice on inland lakes?

Post by johnhens »

We have done many trips to Malone/Siskiwit Lake the week before Memorial Day. No ice, though it can still be cold and snow usually happens. We are kayaking. Fishing is great on the inland lakes, we get Lake Trout, Whitefish and of course big Northerns from Siskiwit.