Finishing early

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

Billycole96
NewbieCake

Finishing early

Post by Billycole96 »

For those that have finished your trip early, were you able to get an earlier flight or boat out?
S_R_L
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Re: Finishing early

Post by S_R_L »

How do you finish your trip early? Just take a '0' day and relax.

The plane will take you back ahead of your schedule if they have room. I've flown back with people that had to leave due to emergency. Obviously you have to be done with your trip early enough to try to coordinate the plane trip through the ranger station.
'22: RH-LC-DF-MB-CH-DF-3M-RH
'21: RH-DF-MB-MC-HL-Malone-SD-WC ~75 miles hiked including side trips.
'20: WC-FL-SB-IM-WC
'18: RH-DF-MB-ECB-DF-RH
'16: RH-LC-DF-TM-RH
'14: WC-HC-WC
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

In general, any of the boats, or seaplane, will accommodate you if they have room. But given that all carriers have been virtually full the last year, I wouldn't be too hopeful. In an emergency situation, they will do their best to make room. We had a broken wrist on one trip and the Voyageur II folks were very helpful and got us back early so we could get to a hospital. Otherwise, I'm regretting that I have to leave when I do...
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

Back in either 2010 or 2011, the V2 had room for my hiking parent and myself, one day early. That was from Windigo to Grand Portage.
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

I guess I’ve never thought about leaving early!! But I’ve definitely considered staying longer.
Bobcat1
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Bobcat1 »

I injured my knee and limped back to Rock Harbor. The ranger was able to swap my ticket for next weeks Ranger ferry for the last available seat on the next sailing. Another time, my group got to Windigo with one spare day, and found that a major storm was predicted, and the rangers were recommending we leave on the next ferry, as there was space available for the 3 of us and the predicted storm might impact the next day’s sailings. That was the last time I was on the old Wenonah daily ferry!
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC