August Boy Scout itinerary

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

aweeksmm
NewbieCake

Post by aweeksmm »

Hi Everyone. Our Boy Scout troop is planning a trip in August. They’ve done the Feldtmann loop previously, but we need to split up into two groups this time. I’d love to hear any thoughts you have on the following itinerary (Things we can expect from the trail, campsites along this route, general advice) I’ve done a fair bit of backpacking on the SHT myself, but haven’t been to the island yet. Our coordinator has already received the group permits for these sites, but some adjustments might be possible. This will be a group of three adults, and four scouts ages 14-18 (likely on the older side of that). Trying to have some shorter days since this will be the first trip for some of them.

Day 1 - arrive at McCargoe cove, stay

Day 2 -McCargoe Cove to Hatchet Lake

Day 3 - Hatchet Lake to East Chickenbone. I understand no one likes that campsite.

Day 4 - East Chickenbone to Daisy Farm

Day 5 - Daisy Farm to Rock Harbor

Day 6 - depart from rock harbor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
S_R_L
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Re: August Boy Scout itinerary

Post by S_R_L »

Day 2: I'd suggest getting to Hatchet via Todd Harbor. In my opinion it's a more interesting hike and there is a beaver dam to traverse. Also then you won't be backtracking as much on day 3

Day 3: I actually liked E Chickenbone. It's different. It's more like camping in the desert. True, it is a long hike down to the lake to get water but given the frequency of algae blooms closing the lake you may be bringing a days supply of water with you anyway.
'22: RH-LC-DF-MB-CH-DF-3M-RH
'21: RH-DF-MB-MC-HL-Malone-SD-WC ~75 miles hiked including side trips.
'20: WC-FL-SB-IM-WC
'18: RH-DF-MB-ECB-DF-RH
'16: RH-LC-DF-TM-RH
'14: WC-HC-WC
torpified
IR Expert

Post by torpified »

I think that's a nice itinerary --- the option for little Minong, a little Greenstone, plus some trails that cross the island's corduroy. Very subjectively, your hardest days are at the start. But you're unlikely to run short of daylight: if your troops are troopers, you should be fine.

A few quick more thoughts:

Be sure to check out the Minong Mine on Day 1 or 2! There's also some much smaller mine remnants near Todd Harbor, which you can pass through on Day 2.

I've never stayed at East Chickenbone, but whenever I walk by it, I think it's lovely. A big mark against it is that the water supply is a longish (people sometimes say .5 m) walk away. And the most direct route from Hatchet to E CB doesn't pass by the ECB watering place. (Although there is a chance to fill up less than a mile from camp: a short spur to Chickenbone Lake leaves the Greenstone just after you step over the little rivulet connecting Lakes Chickenbone and Livermore. I always take the spur by accident.) So some water strategizing would enhance the experience of camping there.

The stretch of the Greenstone Ridge trail between the Daisy Farm Trail junction (that's the westerner one) and the Mt Franklin junction is terrific. If you take the most direct route from camp to camp, you'll miss it all. So meander, if you've got the time and energy!

Again, if there's time/energy, the Rock Harbor area is fun to explore. Both the Stoll trail to Scoville point and the canoe/hike from the seaplane dock to Lookout Louise are well worth doing.

You'll have a blast! Please let us know how it goes.
aweeksmm
NewbieCake

Post by aweeksmm »

torpified wrote:I think that's a nice itinerary --- the option for little Minong, a little Greenstone, plus some trails that cross the island's corduroy. Very subjectively, your hardest days are at the start. But you're unlikely to run short of daylight: if your troops are troopers, you should be fine.

A few quick more thoughts:

Be sure to check out the Minong Mine on Day 1 or 2! There's also some much smaller mine remnants near Todd Harbor, which you can pass through on Day 2.

I've never stayed at East Chickenbone, but whenever I walk by it, I think it's lovely. A big mark against it is that the water supply is a longish (people sometimes say .5 m) walk away. And the most direct route from Hatchet to E CB doesn't pass by the ECB watering place. (Although there is a chance to fill up less than a mile from camp: a short spur to Chickenbone Lake leaves the Greenstone just after you step over the little rivulet connecting Lakes Chickenbone and Livermore. I always take the spur by accident.) So some water strategizing would enhance the experience of camping there.

The stretch of the Greenstone Ridge trail between the Daisy Farm Trail junction (that's the westerner one) and the Mt Franklin junction is terrific. If you take the most direct route from camp to camp, you'll miss it all. So meander, if you've got the time and energy!

Thanks for the great suggestions. We’ll definitely plan to get water from the spur before we get to East Chickenbone.

My biggest concern is algae on the inland lakes since we’ll be at Hatchet then Chickenbone with hiking on the ridge between. How much should we be concerned about water quality?

We’ll see how everyone is doing and whether they feel like climbing back onto the ridge east of Daisy Farm. Do you think it’s worth at least going to Mt Ojibway on our way into Daisy Farm? Otherwise we’d take the more western trail into camp.

torpified
IR Expert

Post by torpified »

aweeksmm wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:35 pm
We’ll see how everyone is doing and whether they feel like climbing back onto the ridge east of Daisy Farm. Do you think it’s worth at least going to Mt Ojibway on our way into Daisy Farm? Otherwise we’d take the more western trail into camp.

My $.02: it is, if you've got the energy! The more western trail into Daisy is quite interesting and beautiful, but walking the open ridge to the fire tower is magical---you're immersed in the sweeping views you've only been getting isolated gulps of so far. And the fire tower is pretty iconic, especially if you've been getting psyched for the trip by constantly monitoring the Ojibway webcam: https://www.nps.gov/media/webcam/view.h ... D38610B700.

(But I should confess that it may prejudice me that my very first trip, I shared the Voyageur with two boys scout troops, one of whom I re-encountered at the fire tower the next day!)
TopCarrot
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by TopCarrot »

For sure get to Ojibway if possible.
I haven’t heard of any water problems at hatchet lake the last few years.
Moskey is really nice but I don’t know about it having or not group sites.
22 CH-ML-ML-LRC-DF-CA-RH
21 3M-MB-McC-TH-ND-WC
21 LC-DF-McC-CH-MB-RH
20 HC-FL-SB-SD-MB-MB-RH
19 TH-ND-WC-SD-ML Via Voyager McC
18 DF-CH-DF
18 LC-DF-LR-RH
17 CW-SD-WC greenstone in 50hrs
aweeksmm
NewbieCake

Post by aweeksmm »

TopCarrot wrote:For sure get to Ojibway if possible.
I haven’t heard of any water problems at hatchet lake the last few years.
Moskey is really nice but I don’t know about it having or not group sites.
Thanks!

dr_nixon
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by dr_nixon »

You verify whether you need a "youth camp" license? If there are 5+ scouts who will not have a parent present in your group, state of MI requires this. It's in the fine print in the initial permit approval email from NPS. I'm taking 9 kids from our troop in July, we were lucky that 5 of them have a parent coming. I verified with the Lead Camp Consultant at MI Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs that with only 4 kids attending without a parent present, we are good to go. Licenses require fingerprints which take some time, you can find details and application form at www.michigan.gov/laracamps .
aweeksmm
NewbieCake

Post by aweeksmm »

dr_nixon wrote:You verify whether you need a "youth camp" license? If there are 5+ scouts who will not have a parent present in your group, state of MI requires this. It's in the fine print in the initial permit approval email from NPS. I'm taking 9 kids from our troop in July, we were lucky that 5 of them have a parent coming. I verified with the Lead Camp Consultant at MI Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs that with only 4 kids attending without a parent present, we are good to go. Licenses require fingerprints which take some time, you can find details and application form at www.michigan.gov/laracamps .
They just sent that information about the license. Good to know about the fingerprints. Thanks.