Cancellation Plans...

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

rich
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Cancellation Plans...

Post by rich »

I am taking the seaplane over for a short trip this May. My vacation time is quite short and if my flight to the island gets cancelled, or pushed beyond my current departure date, I'd like to have backup plans in and around Keweenaw/Houghton area. I'd love to have this group's suggestions on alternative activities. Any good hiking, backpacking, or fly fishing options? Any must see sights?
2018: Feldtmann Lake, Siskiwit Bay, Windigo
2019: Chippewa Harbor, Moskey Basin, West Chickenbone, Rock Harbor
2022: Moskey Basin, Lane Cove
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Re: Cancellation Plans...

Post by dcclark »

Head on down to the Porcupine Mountains! The Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park is a gigantic chunk of primary forest with miles of trails and reservable backpacking camp sites. It's also good practice for Isle Royale hiking.

If you want to stick around Houghton/Hancock itself, be sure to check out the Quincy Mine tour, and a Quincy Smelter tour as well. Both are great examples of the region's mining history.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Sylvania Wilderness may be another option, south of the Porkies on the Wis border. Geared towards canoeing, but also has trails for backpacking--just limits your campgrounds.
If you hang around the Keweenaw and haven't been to Copper Harbor, the drive up is worth it, particularly between Eagle River and Copper Harbor. And on a clear day you can see the island from Brockway Mt, just outside of town.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Bobcat1
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Bobcat1 »

And, a bit east of Houghton, near Munising, is the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore with a 4-day backpacking trail. Might want to check on permits and such, so you are prepared if you need to change your plans.
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
rich
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by rich »

Thanks for all these suggestions. Hopefully I won't need to use them! The Porcupine Mountains State Park looks like a perfect backup plan should my flight not work out.

I'll be back in da yoop later this summer for our family vacation and we'll be spending time at Copper Harbor and Pictured Rocks. One of these days I'll get them to the island.
2018: Feldtmann Lake, Siskiwit Bay, Windigo
2019: Chippewa Harbor, Moskey Basin, West Chickenbone, Rock Harbor
2022: Moskey Basin, Lane Cove