Feldtmann loop or not

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

grandrapidsjack
NewbieCake

Feldtmann loop or not

Post by grandrapidsjack »

We are debating about doing the loop. We like being on the big lake so Island Mine is not particularly appealing.
As an alternative, we are considering a CCW hike to Feldtmann Lake for two nights with a day hike to the fire tower and back. Then back to Windigo on the same trail.
We'd miss Siskiwit Bay.

Would we miss much?
rich
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: Feldtmann loop or not

Post by rich »

The full loop is very nice. I found Siskiwit Bay to be a beautiful campground with Lake Superior fishing and swimming opportunities. The beach hike north out of Siskiwit towards Island Mine is wonderful. When I did the loop I didn’t stay at Island Mine and just continued to Windigo. It is a longer day, but once you reach the greenstone it is mostly downhill. The longer last day makes the beer and pizza at Windigo taste better.
2018: Feldtmann Lake, Siskiwit Bay, Windigo
2019: Chippewa Harbor, Moskey Basin, West Chickenbone, Rock Harbor
2022: Moskey Basin, Lane Cove
S_R_L
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by S_R_L »

Honestly I liked Island Mine as a campground better than Feldmann Lake. I found Feldmann cramped and most of the sites small. The lake is nice for sunrise and seeing animals but there's not much "beach" or places to relax like the big lake sites. It was also full of leaches when I was there so that nixed the swimming plans.
Siskiwit is lovely and I'd definitely spend multiple days there.

I'll do the loop again but don't think I'd ever just to Feldmann and back.
'22: RH-LC-DF-MB-CH-DF-3M-RH
'21: RH-DF-MB-MC-HL-Malone-SD-WC ~75 miles hiked including side trips.
'20: WC-FL-SB-IM-WC
'18: RH-DF-MB-ECB-DF-RH
'16: RH-LC-DF-TM-RH
'14: WC-HC-WC
Kelly
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Kelly »

Island Mine in my experience is lovely. While it's not high on my list as a zero-day destination, I've done it and would do it again. And perhaps the best moose encounter I've had was at Island Mine.

Siskiwit Bay is worth spending extra time at. I look forward to returning someday.
2012 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023 | 2026 A Minong thorough hike
Bobcat1
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Bobcat1 »

At Feldman Lake, the beach to kick back and relax is at Rainbow Cove on Lake Superior. Feldman Lake itself is not that great for swimming, relaxing, etc.
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

I wouldn’t skip siskiwit for Feltdmann. We spent two days there it was so nice. Big beautiful brand new dock and great swimming. Feltdmann is nice for moose watching and was a pretty site but no swimming. We skipped island mine and went straight to windigo. The loop is definitely worth doing once. You can see the whole loop below by clicking the link in my signature. In July there was definitely some overgrown spots but getting to siskiwit was worth it.
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

Here's one more vote for looping the loop, for all the reasons above + the pieces of mining history you can see on the walk up toward island mine from Siskiwit!
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

I vote for the Feldtmann loop. I like lake Feldtmann...quiet and remote, and decent shore fishing (but yeah, don't swim there). Sunsets at Rainbo Cove are also a must. The hike up the Feldtmann ridge is fun. Siskiwit Bay is one of the best places for a sunset. Island Mine isn't bad, and the hike along the Greenstone to get back to Windigo is a nice wind-down for the trip.
grandrapidsjack
NewbieCake

Post by grandrapidsjack »

thanks all
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

Late to the conversation, but I did a modified loop that I really thought was great. Windigo > Feldtmann (side trip to sunset at Rainbow cove) > Siskiwit > S. Desor > Malone > VII back to Windigo/Grand Portage.

Malone was a great experience and I'm glad I did it. Without starting or ending there, I would have never thought to include it.
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

hooky wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:26 am Late to the conversation, but I did a modified loop that I really thought was great. Windigo > Feldtmann (side trip to sunset at Rainbow cove) > Siskiwit > S. Desor > Malone > VII back to Windigo/Grand Portage.

Malone was a great experience and I'm glad I did it. Without starting or ending there, I would have never thought to include it.
Very interesting... I might just have to make this my next itinerary!
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

dcclark wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:08 pm
hooky wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:26 am Late to the conversation, but I did a modified loop that I really thought was great. Windigo > Feldtmann (side trip to sunset at Rainbow cove) > Siskiwit > S. Desor > Malone > VII back to Windigo/Grand Portage.

Here's my TR. Photos aren't available anymore though.

viewtopic.php?t=2648
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

hooky wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:37 am
dcclark wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:08 pm

Here's my TR. Photos aren't available anymore though.

viewtopic.php?t=2648
Here are some photos from that trip.