Itinerary feedback

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Hawkeypt
NewbieCake

Itinerary feedback

Post by Hawkeypt »

First timer here…would love your feedback for my trip to IR this fall (early September). I am comfortable with 12-15 mile days on the SHT, so not too worried about mileage (other than possibly Day 3 :D )

Day 0: Seaplane to Windigo (cabin reserved)
Day 1: Windigo to South Desor Lake (11.6)
Day 2: South Desor to Hatchet Lake (8.3)
Day 3: Hatchet Lake to Moskey Basin (13.4)
Day 4: Moskey to Rock Harbor (11.0) (possibly via Mount Ojibway/Mount Franklin/Tobin Harbor?)

Any recommendations for some shorter day hikes at Windigo? Don’t want to do too much but will probably be itching to explore a little and enjoy the day. Thought about the Minong Trail overlook or Grace Creek.

Plan to be flexible on the way into Rock Harbor…read a lot about the “scenic route” via Mount Ojibway, but want to play it by ear depending on the day. Unfortunately I did not get any lodging reserved for Rock Harbor, so I will depend on the campground unless there is a last minute opening.

Thanks in advance. It’s a ways away but I already can’t wait!
Bobcat1
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: Itinerary feedback

Post by Bobcat1 »

Since you’ll be heading out the Greenstone, I would recommend dayhike out toward Feldmann (overlook and back, or GraceCreek and back) or the Minong overlook and back. Each of those could be as long as you want but 8 miles will get you a great view. The Huginin Cove loop would be a good hike too, at around 9 miles RT. The Windigo nature trail is just over a mile loop if you just want to stretch your legs. Check out the park handout on the Windigo area for more details on many of these. Also when you arrive check if there are any ranger-led activities that day that pique your interest.
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Second Bobcat's advice. In Windigo, wandering down to the campground (1/4 mile) may yield a moose sighting, they like to hang out in the creek along the campground. Or rent a canoe or kayak for a little paddle. You could also spend your last night at 3 Mile if you have a later flight out.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Hawkeypt
NewbieCake

Post by Hawkeypt »

Awesome, kayaking and/or ranger lead activities are both things I wouldn’t have thought about. Thanks!

Anything look out of sort with the trip? I need to learn more about algae as it sounds like that may become more common. Sounds like water may be more of a challenge because of that.

Still wondering if the “scenic route” is worth it the last day, especially since I don’t have lodging secured. Flight is scheduled to leave early the next morning.

Thanks again for the intel. Need to start getting serious about getting back into shape after hibernating all winter. ;)
backwoods doc
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by backwoods doc »

Don't fret about not having a place to stay at Rock Harbor -- if the shelters are full, there are plenty of tent sites. If by chance all the tent sites are occupied (pretty unlikely), it is customary to share sites with others if needed.
2018, 2019, 2021 (all inland lakes by canoe); 2022 X2 (RH and WC); 2023 HC