Normally hang between the trees, but...

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

Mdskpr
NewbieCake

Normally hang between the trees, but...

Post by Mdskpr »

I'm normally a hammock camper, but after reading the many postings of hammock use in IR, I'll become a ground dweller for this trip (Aug 20-27, 2022). I'm considering a 1-P tent or a Paria Breeze mesh tent & tarp combo (https://www.pariaoutdoorproducts.com/pr ... -mesh-tent). My concern is rain at the time I'll be there and the heat/humidity is a concern being all closed up if the temps run warm. With the Breeze, I'd have the ventilation and the tarp has 'doors' to close the ends if the weather turns bad.

Yes I know we cannot foretell the future, neither cam meteorologists with all their technology, but for those who have been there during mid to late August, what's been your weather (rain) experience? Would the tent & tarp combo be advisable?
22:WI-IM-HL-TH-MC-MB-3M-RH :D
S_R_L
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Re: Normally hang between the trees, but...

Post by S_R_L »

Plan on it raining when you're there.
It's rained at least once and usually several days on every trip I've taken to the island.
I was on the island last fall with the drought and record high temperatures and it rained 3 of those days.
'22: RH-LC-DF-MB-CH-DF-3M-RH
'21: RH-DF-MB-MC-HL-Malone-SD-WC ~75 miles hiked including side trips.
'20: WC-FL-SB-IM-WC
'18: RH-DF-MB-ECB-DF-RH
'16: RH-LC-DF-TM-RH
'14: WC-HC-WC
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

It's really a matter of personal preference. A properly set tarp and bug "tent" will keep you dry, and you're obviously used to sleeping under a tarp, if not on the ground. I have a 2p Tarptent that works great in wet weather and allows more ventilation options then a traditional freestanding tent. You do need to be prepared for a wide range of weather: on one trip I both mummied up in a 20 deg bag and slept on top of it--think that was July.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

I have a Paria Breeze too. I use it as a back up to my hammock or on trips where I can't hang. In the summer, I use my Hennessy Hex and in the shoulder seasons use my chill gorilla fortress. I've never had a problem with either set up in bad weather. With the Hennessy, I have something like 30" of overhang on each end of the Breeze.
Mdskpr
NewbieCake

Post by Mdskpr »

Thanks for the feedback. For this trip I’ll have a Warbonnet Superfly tarp that is plenty for coverage and with doors, can be pulled closed if it rains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
22:WI-IM-HL-TH-MC-MB-3M-RH :D