Washington Creek Campground preferred sites

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

dadandladadventurers
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Washington Creek Campground preferred sites

Post by dadandladadventurers »

I will be arriving to IRNP in August with my family. I’ve hiked across the island several times in both directions, but it is the first time for my wife and 9 year old. We are going to stay at Windigo for 2 nights and Rock Harbor for 3. Any recommendations for sites at Washington Creek?
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Re: Washington Creek Campground preferred sites

Post by torpified »

All the shelters are creekside. I've never coincided with the moose reputed to flock Washington Creek, so I don't know if some shelters are better situated to appreciate that than others. For what it's worth, the moose watch team who were my neighbors last week, and who probably knew what they were doing, nabbed (I think) #7---the shelter directly ahead of where the trail into the CG closest to Windigo deadends at the trail linking shelters.
treeplanter
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Post by treeplanter »

If you desire some privacy, the far western shelter (I believe #1) is kind of off on it's own. I watched moose feeding across from this shelter years back.
backwoods doc
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by backwoods doc »

August is high season. You might want to bring a tent in case all the shelters are full.
2018, 2019, 2021 (all inland lakes by canoe); 2022 X2 (RH and WC); 2023 HC
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

treeplanter wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 7:54 am If you desire some privacy, the far western shelter (I believe #1) is kind of off on it's own. I watched moose feeding across from this shelter years back.
Concur! My favorite. There is a tent site between #1 and #2 which gives it extra space--until the tent site is taken, but nice even so. But all are nicely located along and facing the creek, as pointed out.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
dadandladadventurers
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by dadandladadventurers »

Thank you for the responses. We will be tenting too, so we have flexibility. Thinking of one night at Huginnin Cove.
alicecw
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by alicecw »

dadandladadventurers wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 1:07 am We are going to stay at Windigo for 2 nights and Rock Harbor for 3.
Not sure if you're planning to camp or stay at the lodge in Rock Harbor, but if you are camping there is a one night stay limit at the Rock Harbor campground.
TopCarrot
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by TopCarrot »

dadandladadventurers wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:39 am Thank you for the responses. We will be tenting too, so we have flexibility. Thinking of one night at Huginnin Cove.
I have enjoyed Huginnin. The section of trail north of the campsite along the lake is among the most beautiful.
22 CH-ML-ML-LRC-DF-CA-RH
21 3M-MB-McC-TH-ND-WC
21 LC-DF-McC-CH-MB-RH
20 HC-FL-SB-SD-MB-MB-RH
19 TH-ND-WC-SD-ML Via Voyager McC
18 DF-CH-DF
18 LC-DF-LR-RH
17 CW-SD-WC greenstone in 50hrs