Ryan Island Views

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

penguinrr
NewbieCake

Ryan Island Views

Post by penguinrr »

Hello,
First timer trying to play a trip for late August/early September. I will be going with my mom who while a good hiker is not a backpacker. I'm thinking the best plan would be for us to set up camp at a couple of places near where a ferry drops us off and do day hikes. If possible we'd like to see Ryan's Island - we don't have to get onto it, seeing it would be enough. Is there a day hike from such a spot that makes it possible? Perhaps from the Malone Bay Campground? From what I can tell, there doesn't seem to be a trail that goes around Siskiwit toward Ryan's Island from it. Can you see it while doing the hike to Ishpeming Point? Also any recommendations for favorite spots we should see? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: Ryan Island Views

Post by Midwest Ed »

The Rock Harbor Lodge offers a reservation based water taxi that services Malone Bay but it is pricy. You can also arrange for the Voyageur II to drop you off at (and pick you up from) Malone Bay after it (and you) spend the night at Rock Harbor. Additionally, you will need to spend a minimum of 2 nights (or possibly more) at Malone due to the Voyageur's schedule. You could arrive on a Tuesday, Thursday or Sunday, then be picked up on the next Thursday, Sunday or Tuesday.

From the Malone Bay campground it is a very easy 1/4 mile walk along a trail to the south shore of Siskiwit Lake. You'll be able to see Ryan Island from there as it will be about 2 miles away. A slightly better vantage point would be a few hundred yards further along the trail. You might need to bushwack a bit to get to the shore in places. Getting a closer view will require the use of a canoe or kayak.

I can understand how this can be a bucket list item but given your description of your Mother's experience you will be pretty much stuck at Malone Bay in regards to doing any relatively easy hikes.

For the opportunity to make easier day hikes. I suggest you utilize the Voyageur or water taxi to get to Daisy Farm and base camp from there. Until Labor Day, Daisy Farm has a maximum number of nights allowed of 3. Rock Harbor is only 1 night until 9/17/22. McCargoe Cove or Windigo (Washington Creek) would be other options for a 3 night base camp as all these campgrounds are serviced by the Voyageur and water taxi (water taxi does NOT service Windigo).
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Bobcat1
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Bobcat1 »

I think you can see Ryan Island off in the distance from the Greenstone Ridge southwest of Chickenbone Junction, in clear weather. This would be roughly 3-4 miles uphill hike from McCargoe Cove, and the same downhill returning to your Basecamp.
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
backwoods doc
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by backwoods doc »

Having paddled past Ryan Island several times on the way to somewhere else, I wouldn't suggest that you go out of your way to see it. It's just an island in a good-sized lake.
2018, 2019, 2021 (all inland lakes by canoe); 2022 X2 (RH and WC); 2023 HC