Itinerary insights..

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

bbbrownings1
NewbieCake

Itinerary insights..

Post by bbbrownings1 »

Hi! My names Barbie. I will be on the island August 30-Sep 5. I am planning to traverse the island from Windigo to Rock Harbor. Any insight on the best possible itinerary, specifically campsite to campsite. Experienced hiker, and able to commit to 15-20 miles per day if necessary but I’d like it to be less aggressive to allow for some leisure activity as well. Aug 30 I land by plane in Windigo and plan to head out that day. I’d love to have a day in Rock Harbor at the lodge, meaning I’d have to be in Rock Harbor by the night of day 4 (not sure if this is even possible 😂) I will have to leave the island day Sep 5 on the 5pm flight back to Hancock for an early flight to Detroit on the 6th. ANY suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!!! 🙌🫶
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Itinerary insights..

Post by JerryB »

It can be done, but not without some long days. Your first night would almost have to be at Desor, but when do you arrive on the island? Buy the Nat Geo map to plan your route. I think you will see that the route will be pretty clear. As for RH, do you have a lodge reservation? I heard they have been fully booked for months now. I guess there is always a possibility of a cancellation. If you have time in RH, do the Stoll Trail (dayhike) to Scoville Point; you won’t be disappointed.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Itinerary insights..

Post by Ingo »

I'd have a couple of itineraries in mind in case of seaplane delays, but here's a possibility. It hits Moskey Basin and McCargoe Cove, two of the favorite CGs on the island. If you lose a day due to delays or choose to layover a day along the way, you could skip Three Mile at the end--or hike in on the 5th before your flight. As pointed out, you'd be lucky to get a reservation for a room in Rock Harbor, and there's a 1 night stay limit at the campground--but this would get you in early if you want time there.
8/30: Island Mine, 7 mi. all uphill, but gradual and easy trail.
8/31: Hatchet Lake, 13 mi. Longest day.
9/1: McCargoe Cove, 10.5 mi. via Todd Harbor and Minong Trail.
9/2: Moskey Basin, 8.5 mi. Great sunrises.
9/3: Three Mile, 10.5 mi.
9/4: Rock Harbor, 3 mi.
9/5: Home
Note that the creek at Island Mine can get rather dry towards the end of the season, so be sure to check on the water situation when you register with the ranger.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH