Crazy Idea to Circumnavigate the Island?

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Crazy Idea to Circumnavigate the Island?

Post by Midwest Ed »

OK, due to my present health, my backpacking days a long over. I can make it a good 1/2 to 1 mile but then I'm usually done for the day, or I can go shorter distances more frequently. I've already done the RH Lodge base camp for a week in the past but I'm now thinking of a longer trip, making overnight stops at every Lakeside campground of the Voyageur while circumnavigating in a clockwise direction. I'd get off at the next campground and stay there until the Voyageur makes its way back around again.

I've run the numbers on 5 itineraries, starting with one leaving The Island on the last boat. The other work backwards on the calendar until the more frequent VII schedule allows a lesser total number of nights. It's a lot of nights and I could skip a campground or 2 but that takes away from the accomplishment and this could be my last visit. It's seems pricey but if I justify it "by the day" it's not so bad. The rates are not based on this type of itinerary and that may not make a difference to the Voyageur folks but it's worth checking with them. I could easily arrange for resupply although bringing 4 weeks of food at the start wouldn't be an issue. I wonder if anyone has done this before? If my solo canoe paddling skills were better I might consider that.
2023-02-17_1-07-15.jpg
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Crazy Idea to Circumnavigate the Island?

Post by Ingo »

Heck yes, Ed, do it! When you get home you won't be thinking, "Well that wasn't worth it!" But you may regret not doing it. Over the years I've met a couple different people doing similar trips, although maybe not every stop. A couple of thoughts on the itinerary: depending on your solitary nature, 7 days at Malone may be a lot; and you don't need to stay at Windigo twice.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

This sounds like a lot of fun. I agree with Ingo, if the expense is doable, then I can't imagine you'd end up thinking "why did I bother doing that?"
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

that is a supercool scheme! I'm also hoping you'll carry it out (and report)!

I wonder if the Voyageur folk would consider some sort of frequent flyer discount? In a way, you're just booking one outbound (to RH) and one inbound (from RH) trip. Also, you'll practically be a member of the crew by the end!

It might be worth arranging resupply---if it's via Voyageur, you'll be spared the guesswork of timing things so that you're there to take delivery!--- just to spare you humping a bulging food bag to and fro between dock to your campsite/shelter.
treeplanter
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Post by treeplanter »

If you have the time and the money, go for it! Great idea!
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

I also thought a full week (7 nights) at Malone (or anywhere) is a bit much even if I had a paddle craft and fishing gear, but the attractive draw was to return on the last boat. Since it only makes one round trip per week starting on the 21st of September I see no way around it without utilizing the far more expensive water taxis. Removing the stays at Windigo on either the front end or back end seems appropriate. The variation in costs are solely due to the $5 daily parking fee. I agree it seems a bit much to pay $71 to travel from McCargoe Cove to Belle Isle or RH to Daisy Farm, but if I'm the only person picked up and/or dropped off it's adding an extra stop (or two) for the boat. Plus I'm taking up a spot that might prevent another from making the normal full length trip to/from Grand Portage if the boat is full.

Here are 2 additional options, one staying the minimum 7 nights at Chippewa Harbor and another with what I think minimizes the total nights while still staying at every campground.
2023-02-17_18-10-12.png
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
S_R_L
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by S_R_L »

Sounds like a fun adventure if I had the time.
#7 and #4 would be my first choices.
'22: RH-LC-DF-MB-CH-DF-3M-RH
'21: RH-DF-MB-MC-HL-Malone-SD-WC ~75 miles hiked including side trips.
'20: WC-FL-SB-IM-WC
'18: RH-DF-MB-ECB-DF-RH
'16: RH-LC-DF-TM-RH
'14: WC-HC-WC
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

Did you ever reach any conclusions on what your are going to do Ed? I think it is amazing what you are doing especially if this might be your last trip. I did a 30 day paddle trip in 2019 and boy was it pretty fun.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
JerryB
May actually live on IR

Post by JerryB »

This is a fantastic idea. To follow up on Rafiki’s post, do keep us informed
Dogger
NewbieCake

Post by Dogger »

Since the voyageur will drop a food box at any dock it stops at, food is easy to set up. The only thing is fuel. Taking enough for a month . Maybe you could talk the rangers out of some at rock harbor. Twig stove is another option. Great way to go around the island though.
jerry
IR Expert

Post by jerry »

I noticed at the new store at Windigo, that fuel cans were left near the front door (off to the right of it). No sign indicated they were free. I was there June 8 and 9. The same can be said near the store at Rock Harbor (June 7).
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Backpacker534 »

My buddies and I were there May 24 - May 28 (Feldtmann Loop). I, too, saw the box of cans outside of the Windigo store. There was a sign on the box that said they were free, but I think it was more of a joke... I picked up one or two of the cans, and they seemed to be empty.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

RedLeg
LNT Expert

Post by RedLeg »

The cans are free for the taking and are all used but have a little left in them still.
22' Moosewatch #4
22' RH-CI-MB-IL-WL-CH-MB-RH / 13d packraft
21' RH-DF-MB-CH-MC-MB-3M-RH / 11d
dcclark
May actually live on IR

Post by dcclark »

We ended up leaving an 8 oz can used for just 2 boils on that crate (after fully using one other 8 oz can). We needed it -- I'm glad we had it -- but I sure wish they'd had 4oz cans.