Returning to IR, by seaplane?

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

TomM1940
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Returning to IR, by seaplane?

Post by TomM1940 »

Planning a return trip. Visited in June of 2019 via Copper Harbor. Considering the float plane for the fun of it. I'll call the operator but I thought I'd ask the great Isle Royale Forum Nation. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I understand the float plane service is pretty reliable but can get cancelled or delayed due to weather, notably fog. We're planning on 8/30 - 9/6. I lived in Houghton for four of my more formative years and don't recall fog being a big issue that time of year. Maybe a passing cold front. I'm not sure of the weather then on the island. But if your flight is delayed, what are your options? Do they just double up on flights to get paid passengers out there? What's the likelihood of a last minute reservation on the Ranger or the Queen. I know the boat schedules and we're pretty flexible with our plan but only to a point. We really have to be heading home by 9/8. Any information on your experience is greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help or comments.
S_R_L
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Re: Returning to IR, by seaplane?

Post by S_R_L »

Yes, fog and rain can cause plane delays. The seaplane company seems to be quite good about trying to get people where they need to go in as timely a fashion as possible. I've never been delayed personally but have had my scheduled flights to and from the island moved around by a few hours because they've been trying to catch up on flights due to weather delays.
'22: RH-LC-DF-MB-CH-DF-3M-RH
'21: RH-DF-MB-MC-HL-Malone-SD-WC ~75 miles hiked including side trips.
'20: WC-FL-SB-IM-WC
'18: RH-DF-MB-ECB-DF-RH
'16: RH-LC-DF-TM-RH
'14: WC-HC-WC
Bobcat1
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Bobcat1 »

If you have a firm date where you have to be home, make sure you leave an extra day in case of flight delays on the seaplane. Or, you could take the seaplane out to the Rock and then come home on the RangerIII which seems to be the least likely mode of transportation to have a trip delayed significantly.
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
Snufkin
NewbieCake

Post by Snufkin »

I have never personally been delayed on a seaplane trip to the island, but the last time we travelled, the group before us had tried to get out there 4 times that day and had to turn back each time due to fog. We lucked out that there was a small window in the fog for our landing; it did feel like the pilot took us straight down to make it, but that is all part of the adventure.

That said, the first trip I made out to the island, was on the Queen and our return trip (mid-October) was delayed by a day because of gale force winds and 10-15' waves. They wanted to get us out, because the rest of the week was calling for similar weather. The boat came out to the island in the morning and all the passengers filed off and we boarded immediately and left maybe 20 minutes later. Apparently they call it a "turn and burn".

When dealing with Gitchigami, there seems like no safe plan other than to give yourself the leeway to be flexible. That unpredictability is just part of the island charm that keeps us all coming back

Have a safe trip!
Buckeye
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by Buckeye »

The seaplane company will make every attempt to get you to and from the island. They don't get paid unless they do, so they'll try hard.

We got delayed by fog on the water in Houghton/Hancock in 2021. It burnt off and we went about an hour late. After taking the Queen for 4 trips, it was a great to go by air. I would always recommend that first time visitors go by water. It adds to the adventure and feeling of remoteness.
11 DF-WC-MB-3M-RH
14 CH-MB-DF-3M
18 CH-MB-MC-DF-LC
19 MC-MB-3M-RH
21 FL-SB-HL-EC-RH
23 ML-HL-LT-ND-WC
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

We’ve only had excellent experiences with them. Will continue to use them in the future.