Windigo cabin reservations... grrrr

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

IRexpat
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 11

Windigo cabin reservations... grrrr

Post by IRexpat »

Did I miss a significant change in booking Windigo cabins?

Called in today to book- as before 2 January was the first day to book- to find no availability. First agent said they hadn't been released yet (called right at 9am AZ time); called back a few hours later and a different agent said Windigo had been bookable since last year- now booking 365ish days out.
It's not Heaven, but they can see IR from there...
kolo
Bushwacker

Re: Windigo cabin reservations... grrrr

Post by kolo »

Did I miss a significant change in booking Windigo cabins?

Called in today to book- as before 2 January was the first day to book- to find no availability. First agent said they hadn't been released yet (called right at 9am AZ time); called back a few hours later and a different agent said Windigo had been bookable since last year- now booking 365ish days out.
A couple months back I checked to confirm the exact date and time to start making reservations. The agent also told me that reservations can be made 365 days out. Of course the cabins had all been booked through the summer at that point. It was news to me too. It was very disappointing as I had hoped to go to the Isle this summer for the first time since 2018. After 11 trips over 10 years, staying at the cabins is my only option to going to Isle Royale anymore, as I have Multiple Sclerosis. I am unable to backpack and camp anymore.
backwoods doc
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by backwoods doc »

That's rough, Kolo.

My body is also beginning to fail me, so I've been considering other options.

I'm looking at staying in a shelter at Windigo (or maybe Belle Isle or Chippewa). With a nice, thick inflatable mattress and a backpacking chair, those accommodations are quite comfortable (especially if there's a traveling companion who's willing to carry your pack a short distance). We know that the Park Service is toying with the idea of a reservation system for Isle Royale -- that would be great for folks who feel like they really need a shelter.

I've also been looking at Voyageurs National Park. You might want to check out the Kettle Falls Hotel: https://www.kettlefallshotel.com/
2018, 2019, 2021 (all inland lakes by canoe); 2022 X2 (RH and WC); 2023 HC
kolo
Bushwacker

Post by kolo »

I've also been looking at Voyageurs National Park. You might want to check out the Kettle Falls Hotel: https://www.kettlefallshotel.com/
Thank you for your suggestion backwoods doc! I have been to Voyageurs once before. I am considering going back if I can manage to get my canoe from my vehicle to the lakeshore. I don't like Voyageurs nearly as much as I like Isle Royale though.