Michigan seaplane dock moving to Hubbell

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Michigan seaplane dock moving to Hubbell

Post by dcclark »

Hi all:

It looks like the seaplane is flying out of a new location in Hubbell (on Torch Lake) in Michigan. Here are some details copied from Facebook (oddly, posted by the Isle Royale Seaplane page into an Isle Royale group, not on their own page):

"Folks, we are moving to the new location in Hubbell, MI starting in May. The portion of the property in Hancock that we leased for the last few years was sold necessitating a move.

The new property is 15 minutes further down M26 from our old location. We will be doing an email blast in the next few days to all customers who have already booked, informing them of the change.

The new facility is under construction so satellite imagery will indeed show vacant land there. The new facility will have a larger office space, larger hangar, more parking, docks and ramp facilities and a covered outdoor passenger area.

As a matter of information, we have one small aircraft (4 passengers) that has amphibious floats allowing it to operate from an airport runway. This is the aircraft we use for our two daily flights from Grand Marais, MN. Our other three aircraft have seaplane floats that only allow for landing on a water surface."

They have updated their webpage with this info: https://www.isleroyaleseaplanes.com/

The new address is: Torch Lake Seaplane Base, 26998 W. 16th Street, Hubbell, MI 49934
RedLeg
LNT Expert

Re: Michigan seaplane dock moving to Hubbell

Post by RedLeg »

Won't pretent to be a fan of the noise polution it brings to the island on a daily basis.
22' Moosewatch #4
22' RH-CI-MB-IL-WL-CH-MB-RH / 13d packraft
21' RH-DF-MB-CH-MC-MB-3M-RH / 11d
backwoods doc
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by backwoods doc »

Can't be helped. I remember sitting on the bluff at the Wood Lake campground one morning, looking over the lake and feeling about as far from civilization as possible. Then came the drone of a large motor from the south. It got a bit louder, then faded away after several minutes. Based on the day of the week and time of day, I concluded that it was the Voyageur II.
2018, 2019, 2021 (all inland lakes by canoe); 2022 X2 (RH and WC); 2023 HC
RedLeg
LNT Expert

Post by RedLeg »

Surely could be helped... there's no functional reason that that many seaplane need to be transporting people to/from the island. NPS should never have contractually allowed it IMO.
22' Moosewatch #4
22' RH-CI-MB-IL-WL-CH-MB-RH / 13d packraft
21' RH-DF-MB-CH-MC-MB-3M-RH / 11d
GHI
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Post by GHI »

Thanks for this post. For me, I'm grateful for the seaplane. I throw up on that boat ride and I don't like taking dramamine cause it wipes me out for the entire day. Oh and noise. I wonder how loud the torch in a hot air balloon is.