Impossible logistics

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

Daveed
NewbieCake

Impossible logistics

Post by Daveed »

Hello all

So two friends and I are trying to do a bikepacking trip that necessitates a boat trip across Lake Superior, thus passing through the island. We are planning on early September but the logistics appear to be impossible. We can get a ferry out of Grand Portage on the 11th to Rock Harbor, but there is no ferry to Copper Harbor until the 13th, so two nights are required camping in Rock Harbor. Great, no problem except that there is a one night camping limit! How can this even be a reality? Can anyone tell me what the expectation is there?

Thank you
Kelly
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Re: Impossible logistics

Post by Kelly »

For readers, the current one-night stay limit at Rock Harbor is in effect through September 21.

I'd plan to hike to Three Mile (also a one-night stay limit) for the first night and then hike back to Rock Harbor for the second night.

It's an easy enough hike.

Your gear reality may make this more difficult (as in having a single device for carrying what you need for a single night).
2012 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023 | 2024 | 2026 A Minong thorough hike
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

How flexible are your dates and your budget? There's a lodge in Rock Harbor you could stay in for one of the nights---pending availability. Only it shutters itself for the season on September 10. If you moved your dates up to Sept 7-9, that might be an option, though.

Sticking with the same dates, and again requiring money, lining up a water taxi (easier said than done) to and from three mile could simplify gear transport.
Bobcat1
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Bobcat1 »

Contact the park and ask for a waiver of the 1-night limit for your special case. Out of respect for the process, use a tent site For the extra night rather than a shelter in the campground. Or, as mentioned, pack light and walk to 3-mile, or spend one of the nights in the lodge or cabins.
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Post by Midwest Ed »

If the one night at Three Mile Campground becomes part of your solution, not yet mentioned is the RH Lodge (if open) will store gear for a modest fee. No food or fuel allowed.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Bobcat1
May actually live on IR

Post by Bobcat1 »

Oh, and, if you do the hike to 3-Mile, the Tobin Harbor trail is smoother and easier than the Rock Harbor side. Good to know if you’re carrying an awkward load. I did it once, but I left most of my gear in my kayak. I hand-carried my sleeping bag and a poncho-tarp, a headlamp, and 2 liters of water. I was back in Rock Harbor by 7 am, so it really was just a quick sleep at 3-Mile to follow the 1-night rule.
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC