Isle Royale talk at Midwest Mountaineering

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Isle Royale talk at Midwest Mountaineering

Post by Tom »

Folks, so sorry for the late notice - Just realized I let the forum know things were confirmed. :oops:

If you live around the Twin Cities, MN and have tomorrow evening (Monday, June 1st) free, come and join me at Midwest Mountaineering for a talk on Backpacking Isle Royale. I've designed it primarily as a 'interest and logistics talk' - One where folks can learn of the history and beauty of Isle Royale, and then find out most of the details on how to get there and the details they need to know.
All the fun starts at 7pm, Expedition Room, and if you come be sure to come up and introduce yourself!

Tom

PS: Of course, I'll be mentioning the FORUMS!
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Re: Isle Royale talk at Midwest Mountaineering

Post by Kevinl »

Good luck tom. Hope it goes well.
Capt Don
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 546

Post by Capt Don »

Thanks alot Tom, I hope the turn out is good.
Don
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

Just got back... I'm thinking I left with about 25-30 new Isle Royale faces we'll see on the trail! Turn out was good; the folks at Midwest are great; and guests had good questions. Even met a couple of forum 'lurkers' who I made promise to register and share their stories! (You know who you are..)

Thanks to the NPS and Capt' Don for providing some nice 'take aways' like the 2009 Greenstone, brochures, etc. That really helps seal the deal for excitement for people. Conveniently, there was a little extra space in the brochure rack in a prime edge spot (OK, OK, I moved somebody that was down to a few remaining) and so Isle Royale should also get some good visibility for a little while with the extra ferry brochures I had... :wink:

I really think there is a demand from folks who want to learn more about IR but just not many people talking/presenting about it. I'd encourage all of us out here to consider talking at their local outdoors store, etc, about this wonderful place. I think (hope) we'll get more time at Midwest again; perhaps at the Spring Expo (too late for this year) - And while I talked about backpacking, I'd love to pair with someone who wants to talk water!

Tom
trailgoat
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by trailgoat »

Glad to hear the discussion was success. Turning new folks on to Isle Royale is a wonderful thing--more people to help protect this wonderful place.

The REI in Northville, MI is having an Isle Royale discussion later this month. I"m not sure who is leading the presentation, but I would expect it to be fairly well-attended. Unfortunately, it's on a weeknight so I will be unable to attend.
"In wildness is the preservation of the world."

Henry David Thoreau
Isle Royale Rob
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Isle Royale Rob »

Here is a link to the one in Novi, Mi. I think i will check it out!. It is happening tomorrow, June 3rd.

http://www.rei.com/stores/store_event_d ... re_cache=1
hiked 2000, hiked 2001, boater in 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011, solo hiked 2016, boater 2018, boater 2021, Boater 2022
10years=90days!!!