Boater/backpacker relations

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Boater/backpacker relations

Post by DonNewcomb »

I've been reading a bit of the history of the sometimes strained relations between power boaters and backpackers at I.R. and was wondering how things stand these days?
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Boater/backpacker relations

Post by johnhens »

Relations are better between boaters and hikers. The park service clamped down on the boaters that caued trouble in the past and continue to do so today. In my kayaking ventures around the Island, the boaters have ,for the most part been courteous and fine to be with. Moskey Basin was party place in the past. Changing the waters from Daisy Farm to Moskey into a no wake zone has helped. Granted we usually go either before Memorial Day or after Labor Day. I don't reacll too many complaints if any over the last few years.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

I'd agree they've improved. The past several years when I've met boaters; they've been friendly and share the love of IR. They've also often shared their catch or a beer... So I must say, it seems to be good!
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

I've had boats share ice, water and or food with me.

jerry
srparr
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by srparr »

Never had a problem myself, but I have seen strained relations at Siskiwit bay over the two shelters.

My experiences have all been positive ... as a hiker I've met friendly people who want to share stories, weather news, and sometimes beer/shots/fresh fish. None of these things should ever be taken for granted, but they are very welcome "trail magic" for hikers willing to chat with new friends.

Just got back from a week on the island a few days ago, and we had a very positive experience at Malone Bay. Boaters invited all the hikers to a fish fry (they had some good luck earlier in the day), followed by a blue-grass hoedown with guitars, banjo, mandolin, and ukulele. It was great! Two of my nephews were along for their first trip to the island, and one of them joined in with a borrowed guitar. Boy are they spoiled for future visits!

I have to say that it was one of my best evenings on the island. Ever!
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

It's great to hear these positive reports. I gathered things were not so good ten years ago. I read about stacks of letters to the park superintendent complaining about boaters' roudy behavior, etc.
Tom
Forum Moderator

Post by Tom »

Never had a problem myself, but I have seen strained relations at Siskiwit bay over the two shelters.
Wasn't about ten years ago, was it?

It's my only "bad boater" experience. A buddy and I came off the trail from Windigo (via Island Mine, which we just kept hiking) and got caught in a rain storm. Somewhat soaked, we looked forward to the chance of a shelter. When we arrived, both shelters were occupied by the same boating party; who clearly had been there multiple days, repleat with full tarps, awnings, etc. The also had cabin cruiser boats in which they would stay at night; the shelters they were just using to store things, clean fish, and hang out.
One of them tried to tell us we couldn't use the dock when boats were moored, for security reasons. (Umm, yeah, we knew better.)

Oh well. That was the only time. We reported the boat names when we arrived back at Windigo; I'm sure that helps in keeping things in check. Since that time, it's only been good experiences!
srparr
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by srparr »

Tom wrote:
Wasn't about ten years ago, was it?
Nope, it was maybe 3 years ago.

Those two shelters at Siskiwit are treated differently than other shelters on the island in that they are not first come, first served. As I understand it, one is reserved for the first hiker and the other is reserved for the first boater. If no one has claimed a shelter by 6 pm (I think), then it is up for grabs.

Three years ago, there was a hiker couple that were in the boater shelter taking a nap (hiker shelter was already occupied when they arrived). At about 10 minutes before 6 pm a boater pulled up to the dock and rudely (so I was told) woke up the couple and ejected them from the shelter. The boater then dumped gear into the shelter, and then took off again to go fishing until after dark.

Needless to say, my version of the story is the one the hiker was telling! I did not witness these events, and am only reporting what I was told. I heard the next morning that the the boaters slept aboard their boat, and only used the shelter to store gear ...
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Had only positive encounters with boaters this last week. Had 2 lake trout suppers courtesy of fisherman! Another filled up our Platypuses with filtered water.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Capt Don
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 546

Post by Capt Don »

I'm suprised and somewhat disappointed this old addage has surfaced. I personally believe there is no such history, but rather a conflict fabricated by a past regime to further an agenda. This was proven in in testimony and evidence during a past court case. I have never witnessed or been involved in such a conflict, and have had many meetings over the years. Just look at the responses to this thread, hardly any negative, put into perspective it is like a conflict at say, a shopping mall.
I, for one, feel this subject should be put to rest once and for all, no good can come from it.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

Capt Don wrote:I'm suprised and somewhat disappointed this old addage has surfaced.
Since I started it I think I should respond. Having never been to I.R., I was searching the net for information when I came across a number of references, newspaper articles, etc., some not dated, some up to 10 years old, discussing such a conflict. I was curious, so I asked the question. Nothing more. No hidden agenda or anything like that.

Near where I live we have Gulf Islands National Seashore. One of the islands is a wilderness, others are not. Over a number of years, on one weekend (Memorial Day, I think) there has been a large "blow out" at the end of one island with hundreds of powerboats and jet skis congregating. In recent years it has become a bit of a safety and law-enforcement problem. Since I live where this sort of behavior in a NPS administered area is actually a problem, the issue was a concern to me.
Capt Don
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 546

Post by Capt Don »

I can understand your concern based on experiences in other parks. I cannot speak for them as I have no knowledge of them, this is an Isle Royale forum. I can speak only of Isle Royale and the attemps to create a sense of conflict between different user groups. Thankfully that was some time ago and never took hold. As far as any conflicts then or now, they were isolated instances between several selfish individuals, certainly nothing attributable to any one user group. As I said before, nothing good can come from this discussion.
Nitsirk
NewbieCake

Post by Nitsirk »

Capt Don wrote:I can understand your concern based on experiences in other parks. I cannot speak for them as I have no knowledge of them, this is an Isle Royale forum. I can speak only of Isle Royale and the attemps to create a sense of conflict between different user groups. Thankfully that was some time ago and never took hold. As far as any conflicts then or now, they were isolated instances between several selfish individuals, certainly nothing attributable to any one user group. As I said before, nothing good can come from this discussion.
Actually IMHO, I think a lot of good came from this discussion. Someone had a concern and it was proved that it no longer needed to be a concern. There will always be isolated incidents between people in general whether they be hiker to hiker, hiker to boater or somewhere in between. I think this discussion proved that aside from isolated incidents there is no "boater/backpacker" animosity to be concerned over.
Tom
Forum Moderator

Post by Tom »

Along with Nitsirk and Capt Don are saying; I'd probably have to agree that it has NOTHING to do with mode of transportation and locomotion, but rather just differing personalities. In all my years, I've had ONE 'bad boater' experience; but can think of several 'bad camper' experiences. Just folks that were not of perhaps what I consider the "Isle Royale Mindset." Not like there was fistacuffs or anything, just a "well, I won't be hanging with them at the fire tonight" moments.
In the grand reality, the IR Boater's Association has contributed to many wonderful projects that we hikers enjoy; like the Pavilion at Windigo and Daisy Farms, if I recall; and restoring the cabin/School house at Chippewa. Boaters (the 'return' boaters) care about IR just as much as the hikers (the 'return' hikers) do.
I'd hate to see the 'rumor' die, in so much that it seemed to spread for a while back then and there are some that might still believe it. If anything, we should be saying, "Oh, that? That was never true. You should talk to some of those boaters! Great stories!"
Word needs to spread that motor boaters share the love and passion (and conservation) of IR just as much as backpackers and kayakers.
Mandolynn
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Mandolynn »

Not to take anything away from the Boaters, but they had nothing to do with restoring the "schoolhouse" at Chippewa Harbor. (Unless they made a financial contribution that I'm not aware of.) The actual restoration work was a project of IRNHA. I was privileged to participate in that work trip, and it was probably the best experience of my life.

A lot of people probably know this already, but the little cabin remaining at Chippewa Harbor was never the actual schoolhouse. It's called that because it's where a stray desk ended up being stored years ago. Actually it was one of several small tourist cabins that the Johnson family built. The youngest daughter of the family that ran the resort came out while we were working on it and showed us where the actual schoolhouse had been. It was an awesome experience to visit with her and see the island through her eyes.