Today's Lesson: You can't ignore a NPS fine.

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Today's Lesson: You can't ignore a NPS fine.

Post by Tom »

If you get fined by the NPS, it might be smart to pay. This woman apparently hasn't yet come to terms with that.

http://www.startribune.com/local/132417543.html

I have no idea what she did, but at $225, it would almost have to seem egregious.
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Re: Today's Lesson: You can't ignore a NPS fine.

Post by Tampico »

There is a no-wake zone that basically runs the length of Mott Island in Rock Harbor. It was not marked on official NPS maps, but rather by two small No-Wake buoys very close to shore. Sort of the ISRO equivalent to a speed trap, IMO.

On my first trip to ISRO with my boat. Mine and another boat transited this stretch of water on-plane and were pursued by the NPS Safe-Boat. We stopped, and then proceeded to the Rock Harbor marina to learn our fate from the LE Ranger.

Long story short, we were given warnings due to the circumstances but were told that the fine could be as much as $400.00.

On subsequent trips, I've been very careful to observe all the rules. They don't mess around up there. $225.00 for littering doesn't surprise me at all.
voyageur kin
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by voyageur kin »

Thanks for posting ,Tom. I came on to put up the link only to see it was already here! I am very glad to see enforcement of the laws on I.R. and hope the park service will push this to the limit.
Redbad
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by Redbad »

Here is a link to the "forfeiture of collateral" guidelines for NPS violations set forth by the US District Court for the Western District of Michigan (the Federal Court having jurisdiction over ISRO): http://www.miwd.uscourts.gov/GENERAL/na ... ervice.htm (Note: Pictured Rocks and Sleeping Bear Dunes are also in the same judicial district)

It is a Federal misdemeanor to violate NPS regulations (unlike many violations of state statutes or local ordinances which may be treated as civil infractions). In addition to a fine, a person found guilty has the potential of facing jail time (usually only for serious violations).

From the newspaper article, it sounds like in addition to a fine this person may be looking at spending some time in jail for failing to take care of the NPS fine in a timely fashion. It certainly will not be pleasant facing Magistrate Greeley during her hearing.

Moral of the story --- LNT! (and pay your fine on time).
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

A couple of years ago a couple of inebriated MTU students decided, the night before graduation, to steal a life ring from the Ranger. They were caught, spent the night in jail, and were extremely lucky that the FBI office in Marquette decided not to press federal charges.
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather