Cheap motels in Houghton?

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

egraetze
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Cheap motels in Houghton?

Post by egraetze »

Any suggestions for a cheap motel in Houghton? Driving up in July on a Friday night, and expecting to arrive around midnight, then have to get up in the morning for an 8 AM flight to Windigo. This would be for 3 adults. I really don't want to drop 65 bucks for a 5 hour sleep. Most places I've checked were pricy for what we need, but I did find some in the mid 50s in L'Anse.
Eric
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Re: Cheap motels in Houghton?

Post by Keweenaw »

Arcadian motel, right by the airport entrance, is $55 for 3 adults, 2 beds (I just called).

906-482-0288

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

It might be hard to beat that Arcadian deal but I've noticed that Royale Air Service makes note of a discount available at the Houghton Country Inn and Suites. Although it would need to be quite the discount to reduce their normal rates to be competitive with your price range.

I also found the Budget Host Inn in Houghton. One bed, 3 adults = $50. Two beds, 3 adults = $65.

http://www.bhihoughton.com/id2.html

Another possibility might be a dorm room at MTU. I've seen them going for as low as $25. Not sure of the applicable conditions.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
egraetze
NewbieCake

Post by egraetze »

I just reserved a room at the Arcadian. They accomodate late arrival, unlike some other motels. It is close to the airport. The restaurant choice early on a Saturday morning is very limited, but this will work well. Thanks for the suggestion.

Eric
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR

Post by Keweenaw »

Hi Eric,

Yep, there are no places to eat near there. You would have to drive back to Hancock/Houghton or up to Calumet. I would bring some breakfast items to eat in the room to save a trip.

Let me know if you need other info!

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
egraetze
NewbieCake

Post by egraetze »

Thanks. The motel owner advised Toni's Country Kitchen, but they don't open up until 7 AM on Saturdays. May go there, but don't want to push it. The Burger King opens at 5:30 AM on Saturdays. May opt for that if needed.

Eric
egraetze
NewbieCake

Post by egraetze »

The Arcadian was clean and a very convenient place to stay. The owner left the key in the room.
Eric
LeftOvers
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by LeftOvers »

Any feedback on the Super 8 a few blocks east of IR HQ? Looks like it could be a little quieter than many others which hug the main roads. I'm going in two weeks for one night (March, 2012).

Thanks.
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR

Post by Keweenaw »

LeftOvers wrote:Any feedback on the Super 8 a few blocks east of IR HQ? Looks like it could be a little quieter than many others which hug the main roads. I'm going in two weeks for one night (March, 2012).

Thanks.
Lots of snowmobilers around right now, so "quieter" might not be the case.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

LeftOvers wrote:Any feedback on the Super 8 a few blocks east of IR HQ? Looks like it could be a little quieter than many others which hug the main roads. I'm going in two weeks for one night (March, 2012).
We stayed there in 2005 but nothing stands out in my memory. Checked my trip log and all I said was "Nice big room overlooking the channel"--which means there wasn't anything wrong with it. Pretty convenient to the boat as I recall.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
LeftOvers
Trailblazer

Post by LeftOvers »

Thanks, Keweenaw & Ingo. I'm leaving in a day or two (staying elsewhere for 10+ days) and decided to reserve a room at the Travelodge in Houghton on the Canal side, fifth floor. Made the decision based on price and a bath with jets (not a whirlpool, they point out). I haven't stayed there in a while - I'll post feedback when I get back.
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

I can definitely speak on behalf of Super 8. I love the fact that it is close to the Ranger III. I love the fact that it is off a channel of Lake Superior. I love the fact that it has a short bike trail on it to explore on the day before you leave to Isle Royale if you have time. I love the waffles they offer for breakfast. Finally the prices are fair and the accomadations are good. I really couldn't ask for more. Long story short, it is good enough to me to where I don't bother doing research on other places. I was satistified during my departure and return stays, so why change. Thats just me though. I heard many others having good experiences at the travel lodge and I think that place is $10 less that the Super 8 so it might be something worth considering.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
LeftOvers
Trailblazer

Post by LeftOvers »

I'm back from my trip to Keweenaw and ended up staying at the Travelodge in Houghton for 2 nights. Very nice, especially considering the relatively low cost. From the top floor I had a great view of the canal, the lift bridge (1 block away) and the oposite shore (including the ski runs at Mont Ripley). It's built on a hillside (everything near the canal is built on a hillside), so you can't go straight down to get to the lobby. They actually give you a map because you have to use two different staircases and halls on three levels!

Nice continental breakfast, waffles, fruit and all the standards. Across the street from Surplus Outlet (good for outdoor clothing, including woolens) and a block from Down Wind Sports which carries paddling and backpacking equipment. About six blocks from IRNP HQ, where the Ranger docks.
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

Thanks for your update of the travelodge. Seems like an A-ok place and that you were satisfied. Ill definitely consider it before I book the Super 8 in October.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)